spare wheel carrier

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• spare wheel carrier

So I was in my local scrap yard and found a great looking spare wheel carrier on a vauxhall 4x4.

So 40 quid later it was in my boot. I moded my tow hitch bracket and managed to get it on the back of the car.

I think it looks good and with a bit more work I should have it all attached. My problem is that it sits about an inch off centre so I need to straighten its mounting bracket plate which is about 8mm thick steel.

How easy is it to do that?
    I will posty a picture once i take one.
    cheers
    Attached Files

Sorry dont know anything about the mount but ...............like the rear bumper did that come with it or whats it off?

Rob
    The sh$t gets deeper ...but still swimming

Comment

It came off a vauxhall frontera like this:

http://www.abbeycarbreakers.co.uk/im...ard/1520_1.jpg

What is cool is the locking mechanism to the rear bumper, a much better design than the standard surf one (and lockable)

My problem is I need to straighten this bit

But how di i straighten 8/10mm thick plate like that?
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by truckarms View Post

My problem is I need to straighten this bit

But how di i straighten 8/10mm thick plate like that?
        Clamp it in a vice, get it glowing orange with oxy/acetyline and use a big adjustable spanner to bend it.

It looks good btw....

Rob

Comment

if you can't get hold of heat, i'd cut a line up the bend with a grinder, as deep as you need to to be able to bend it, then weld up the groove left with 3 or 4 lines, then run the grinder up the other side, run a bead up this and it should be ok.

Then same for other bend.

Heat and a BFH would be better though.
          4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

are you offering your services Tony? (Pretty please).

Also was going to give you a call (have you finished that trainer because we had a chat ages ago about swapping the back doors so I could have the off centre number plate?

I also need to make a new plate that bolts to the chasis (similar to the tow bar ones) but a bit thicker than the tow bar ones (10mm at least) but that needs a cutting torch (do you have one?)

Cheers
            Last edited by truckarms; 18 March 2010, 15:47.

Comment

Originally posted by truckarms View Post
              are you offering your services Tony? (Pretty please).

Also was going to give you a call (have you finished that trainer because we had a chat ages ago about swapping the back doors so I could have the off centre number plate?

I also need to make a new plate that bolts to the chasis (similar to the tow bar ones) but a bit thicker than the tow bar ones (10mm at least) but that needs a cutting torch (do you have one?)

Cheers
              lol if want to bring it up just to that its cool, and yes, I have that black tailgate if you want it. I'm going to leave building the Surfavan trailer for a bit cos have to much other stuff going on, so tailgate is up for grabs.

I'm sure Rich can sort me me the back half of a Surf when I need one again.

Don't have a cutting torch, but can cut it out with a grinder and or chop saw if need be.
              4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN View Post
                lol if want to bring it up just to that its cool, and yes, I have that black tailgate if you want it. I'm going to leave building the Surfavan trailer for a bit cos have to much other stuff going on, so tailgate is up for grabs.

Don't have a cutting torch, but can cut it out with a grinder and or chop saw if need be.
                just give a shout Tony and i'll sort you one
                https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN View Post

Theres a half built one here if you want it... You will need to bring a welder and a hitch with you though...
                  it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

any pictures of the trailer?

I am always interested in collecting surf stuff

Comment

Working...
                    X