Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feedback Re Your Lifts Please...

Hi All

First of all I would like to thank everyone who has given their help and advice so far regarding my future lift. I have learned loads from you all already.

I think I am close knowing the direction to go in, but would like some feedback of personal experience regarding different types of lift or combinations etc.

For those who don't know, I intend to do quite low mileage and tow a boat, about 1.5 tonnes with trailer. It will be on a sandy or sandy/shail beach. Hope this might help with pros and cons specific to my application.

I am going to fit 33's when it's done.

I reckon my options are:

1 2" Suspension lift (Springs & Shocks) AND 2" Spacers
    2 2" Sus AND 2" Body Lift
    3 2" Spacers AND 2" Body Lift.

Would be grateful for any of your experiences including pros and cons any of the above or any of the lifts individually OR any feedback or pros and cons purely from knowledge.
    Cheers

Fernie

Just fnished my lift last week after a lot of sweary words skint knuckles aching muscles and quite a bit more dosh than I had bargained for..but worth it in the end.
    I went for the LC spring lift at the back and bj spacers at the front with an 1" on the torsion bars and a 2" body lift which has given me 5" in total all round. New +3" Rancho shocks for the back and +2" pro comp es3000 for the front. Panhard Rod was cut and a new bit of metal rod welded inside to the correct length. New extended braided brake lines front and back.
    Decided to go for deep dish steel wheels from ebay and a set of 33" Kuhmo KL71's which are fantastic on the road as well as offroad....and to finish it all off a pair of manual free wheeling hubs to save my cv joints. I am more than pleased witht the finished project and it drives a lot better on the road than I expected..the Khumos are so quiet its unbelievable.
    I have done a couple of projects before on a Frontera and a Trooper but this was by far the hardest and most costly one to date.
    I must give Neil from Outrageous.com a big thankyou for all his advice and of course his fantastic new BJ spacer kit... a bit expensive but you only get what you pay for... which of course I used as well as his LC spring seat kit.
    I have added a pic of the finished...just a few more lights to go..project.
    Attached Files

Comment

thats www.outrageousoffroad.co.uk
      how did you find the new spacer kit was it any good,? would be great to get some feed back from people who have fitted the balljoint spacers to see how they got on with them. good or bad comments welcome.
      www.overfab.uk

Comment

Originally posted by surfenstein View Post
        thats www.outrageousoffroad.co.uk
        how did you find the new spacer kit was it any good,? would be great to get some feed back from people who have fitted the balljoint spacers to see how they got on with them. good or bad comments welcome.
        Hi Stein

I spoke to Neil, thanks and he was massively helpful. I am now trying to decide which direction to go in. I know that if you guys did it, it would be spot on which is important, but I have to think about cost and also the distance between us. It would be great for you to do a 3rd gen though so that you could then know what is needed in future. I guess there will be more and more 3rd Gens on here as time passes.

Speak soon...
        Cheers

Fernie

Comment

Originally posted by Fernie69 View Post
          Hi Stein

I spoke to Neil, thanks and he was massively helpful. I am now trying to decide which direction to go in. I know that if you guys did it, it would be spot on which is important, but I have to think about cost and also the distance between us. It would be great for you to do a 3rd gen though so that you could then know what is needed in future. I guess there will be more and more 3rd Gens on here as time passes.

Speak soon...
          私のホバークラフト は鰻が一杯です。

Comment

Originally posted by SPARKYDEN View Post
            Just fnished my lift last week after a lot of sweary words skint knuckles aching muscles and quite a bit more dosh than I had bargained for..but worth it in the end.
            I went for the LC spring lift at the back and bj spacers at the front with an 1" on the torsion bars and a 2" body lift which has given me 5" in total all round. New +3" Rancho shocks for the back and +2" pro comp es3000 for the front. Panhard Rod was cut and a new bit of metal rod welded inside to the correct length. New extended braided brake lines front and back.
            Decided to go for deep dish steel wheels from ebay and a set of 33" Kuhmo KL71's which are fantastic on the road as well as offroad....and to finish it all off a pair of manual free wheeling hubs to save my cv joints. I am more than pleased witht the finished project and it drives a lot better on the road than I expected..the Khumos are so quiet its unbelievable.
            I have done a couple of projects before on a Frontera and a Trooper but this was by far the hardest and most costly one to date.
            I must give Neil from Outrageous.com a big thankyou for all his advice and of course his fantastic new BJ spacer kit... a bit expensive but you only get what you pay for... which of course I used as well as his LC spring seat kit.
            I have added a pic of the finished...just a few more lights to go..project.
            Hi Mate

The truck looks great! Thanks for taking the time to reply. A very similar look that I am trying to achieve with my 3rd gen! I must admit, I am starting to lean towards the 2" Springs and shocks lift combined with a 2.5" Suspension spacer lift and leaving the body lift out. In your experience, do you think the only other mods I will need with this are extended brake lines, Panhard extension and Manual FW hubs (would this be needed? If so where did you source them?)

Look forward to hearing from you...
            Cheers

Fernie

Comment

Originally posted by blackpoolsparks View Post
              They'll all come round to the idea eventually Sparks?!...
              Cheers

Fernie

Comment

hi fernie,
                yep it would be nice to get hold of a third gen and work our magic on it to show others what we can achieve,and for you the reassurance that it was done proffessionally.(no disrespect to yoshie intended in any way ).but i do understand that the cost and distance is a big factor in your decision.
                www.overfab.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Fernie69 View Post
                  Hi Mate

The truck looks great! Thanks for taking the time to reply. A very similar look that I am trying to achieve with my 3rd gen! I must admit, I am starting to lean towards the 2" Springs and shocks lift combined with a 2.5" Suspension spacer lift and leaving the body lift out. In your experience, do you think the only other mods I will need with this are extended brake lines, Panhard extension and Manual FW hubs (would this be needed? If so where did you source them?)

Look forward to hearing from you...
                  what you need to remember is that you have a third gen and not a second gen the suspension set up is totally different,the second gen has torsion bars and wishbones up front and the 3rd gen has coilovers,with a steering rack and not a steering box.rear end is more or less the same.
                  Last edited by surfenstein; 19 November 2009, 20:15.
                  www.overfab.uk

Comment

Heres a picture of my old 2nd gen:
                    Attached Files
                    私のホバークラフト は鰻が一杯です。

Comment

QUOTE=surfenstein;598545]hi fernie,
                      yep it would be nice to get hold of a third gen and work our magic on it to show others what we can achieve,and for you the reassurance that it was done proffessionally.(no disrespect to yoshie intended in any way ).but i do understand that the cost and distance is a big factor in your decision.[/QUOTE]

You don't need to worry about Yoshie, mate, he's a top bloke. I've already "spoken" to him about my options and although is is happy to do it (so am I) he completely recognises that you guys do it for a living and he speaks very highly of you.

Will be in touch either way...

Nice to be part of a community where offers of help and advice are always there... Especially for us spannerphobes!
                      Cheers

Fernie

Comment

Originally posted by blackpoolsparks View Post
                        Heres a picture of my old 2nd gen:
                        Looks Awesome - bet you were said to see it go like I was with my 2nd. Just wanted the extra room and better ride. (It does drive better as well though IMHO)
                        Cheers

Fernie

Comment

Originally posted by surfenstein View Post
                          what you need to remember is that you have a third gen and not a second gen the suspension set up is totally different,the second gen has torsion bars and wishbones up front and the 3rd gen has coilovers,with a steering rack and not a steering box.rear end is more or less the same.
                          Ye, thanks for that. I had sort of worked that out, but glad for the absolute confirmation (See, I am listening!) I reckon I will need an extension for the steering thingy. Ooh Errr, always wanted an extension!

I am looking into the Daystar spacer kit in the US at the mo. Do you think Neil would like to take a gander?...

http://www.daystarweb.com/productdet...?productID=537

Just wondering... If you guys think it could be a good piece of kit, it may be worth getting one and letting you fit it so the you can copy - sorry - manufacter a similar one for future surfers and it might save me a few quid??

Please feel free to let me know if you think it will be cr@p.
                          Cheers

Fernie

Comment

I have a pair of Mark's LC spring locators. Absolute precision, and beautifully machined. I would recommend them wholeheartedly and dont think I would consider the LC spring mod without them now to be honest.
                            Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
                              I have a pair of Mark's LC spring locators. Absolute precision, and beautifully machined. I would recommend them wholeheartedly and dont think I would consider the LC spring mod without them now to be honest.
                              Cheers, Mate. I am quite drawn to taking it down there and letting the guys loose on it for a couple of weeks, I must admit.

If not I'll be more than happy for Yoshie and the crew to do it - he's been mega helpful.

Will complete my research, decide what I want and then make a decision.
                              Cheers

Fernie

Comment

Working...
                              X