Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mounting a hi lift to the spare wheel carrier

Afternoon all
    I would like to mount my hi-lift outside the vehicle as its a pain in the ass to tie down in such a way that its easy to get out when you really need it.
    roof is a posibility but the less weight up there the better so I was thinking attached to the spare wheel carrier. I know you can get mounts that attach to the spare wheel studs but I was thinking more along the lines of how the rear ladders attach (i.e. gripping the tube of the carrier)

I was thinking of getting some kind of u-clamp with wheel studs welded on to the straight edge. The idea being to clamp two around the carrier, hang the jack off the two studs and put a standard nut on one and a locking nut on the other to prevent removal by little pykeys (round my way if its metal they'll have it)

a) whats the thoughts on this idea? Main problem I see is if the jack projects slightly too far above the roof line and can get snagged
    b) any thoughts on u clamps or similar made for another application that would work?
    Last edited by biosurf; 22 July 2009, 18:10.

Shameless bump for the evening shift. Any ideas?

Comment

i made these to attach my hi lift too.

www.overfab.uk

Comment

The hinged pipe clamps Webbo used for his spotlight fitting would look good, stainless steel, might be worth asking if he could get some in the size of the carrier tube! as to where abouts i dunnp really, if you have a 33 on there it wont leave much room for owt else, it'd be easy on mine with the rim reversed, it leaves a fair bit of space behind the wheel, in the bit the wheel bolts to, but with a stock rim i dont think there'd be enough room there
        Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Originally posted by surfenstein View Post
          i made these to attach my hi lift too.
          Where did you attach them to?
          Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
            Where did you attach them to?
            they were attached to the top of the tonneau cover on stein.so completley useless for a standard surf but the mounting brackets could be modded to fit elsewhere. so you could attach them to the top bar on the spare wheel carrier.
            www.overfab.uk

Comment

Working...
            X