Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body lift advice...

Hi

I’m half way through lifting the body on a Gen 2 - 2.4 and could really do with a little advice on a couple of things.

The attached picture shows the separation at the top bolt of the steering column. I’ve checked the opening with calipers with a 16.4mm result. I believe that half an inch would be the desired result, I’m a little over this! Should I try and recover 3mm or so from the lower steering column clamp maybe or do you reckon it might be ok as is?

Dropping the radiator: I’m short of a couple of brackets for lowering and getting a little lazy. I can knock up a couple but just before I do that I thought I would just ask if I really need to. The top radiator hose is only slightly higher than the thermostat and there are no clearance issues?

Cheers for your help folks
    Attached Files

try and share out the steering column lengtening between the two splined joints,just to be on the safe side.
    as for the rad drop brackets,they are really required,but it should be ok till you fabricate some

good luck.
    Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Thanks for taking the time mate. Good advice

Comment

there are 3 adjustment points on the steering column.The 2 under the bonnet and the third under the dash.Slacken all 3 that way the adjusment is shared betwwen the 3 not just the 2
        https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

did you not get any small bent bits of metal in the kit then bill.im sure i put them in.
          www.overfab.uk

Comment

Originally posted by surfenstein View Post
            did you not get any small bent bits of metal in the kit then bill.im sure i put them in.
            Still got the hangover
            ' You've arrived on a rather special night. It's one of the master's affairs.'

Comment

Thanks folks! I'll sort the radiator and steering out at the weekend if the weather allows (no garage to work in)

No worries Mark, I have 2 of the radiator drop brackets but I reckon I lost 2, but I can use them as a template. Thanks again! The old girl is looking great. I still have a fair bit to do before putting her back on the road. I would like 33’s but do not want to mess with the gearing on a 2.4 so the 31’s will do for now. I thought the wheels might look a little small with the body and suspension lift but I'm just getting away with it.

I must admit, the lift makes the oil filter easier to get 2.

Looking forward to doing some off roading with the arb’s removed etc. My surf standard was SO much more capable than my land rover. Sold the LR!

There is something about the surf that I can't put me finger on - just a great truck I guess

Comment

Originally posted by Mrbill View Post
                My surf standard was SO much more capable than my land rover. Sold the LR!
                Show of hands for who thinks Mr Bill should post something to this effect on a few landrover forums

Comment

Originally posted by Mrbill View Post
                  Thanks folks! I'll sort the radiator and steering out at the weekend if the weather allows (no garage to work in)

No worries Mark, I have 2 of the radiator drop brackets but I reckon I lost 2, but I can use them as a template. Thanks again! The old girl is looking great. I still have a fair bit to do before putting her back on the road. I would like 33’s but do not want to mess with the gearing on a 2.4 so the 31’s will do for now. I thought the wheels might look a little small with the body and suspension lift but I'm just getting away with it.

I must admit, the lift makes the oil filter easier to get 2.

Looking forward to doing some off roading with the arb’s removed etc. My surf standard was SO much more capable than my land rover. Sold the LR!

There is something about the surf that I can't put me finger on - just a great truck I guess
                  It's not much of a hike up to 33's from 31's.

Shouldn't affect the gearing to a point that its unbearable. I had 32's on my surf for over a year with no concerns at all.

Comment

bill there is only two rad drop brackets for the top,the bottom two bolt into holes already in the front clip.
                    www.overfab.uk

Comment

Originally posted by surfenstein View Post
                      bill there is only two rad drop brackets for the top,the bottom two bolt into holes already in the front clip.
                      Thats great news Mark!!! I thought I'd lost them. My wee boy was playing with the lift kit and has taken to hiding things. I still can't find the front door keys

Aghhhhhhhhhhhhh. Don't make me want bigger tyres RodLeach. I had already talked myself out of them now the idea is back on the table.

Thanks everyone one for your help

Comment

Working...
                      X