No announcement yet.

ATF cooler location

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I dont do any towing Tony, and the cooler is bigger than in the photo (only shows half)

I am close to finishing mounting it now too, so too late for bigger one! However, it HAS to help regarding heating up on long hills etc.

I'm in a quandry as whether to fit it in line with the original cooler - just to take the sting out of the ATF before going into the rad, or bypass the rad entirely. Either way, its no biggie to chop and change if one is better than the other.
    Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by MattF View Post
      Can't remember specifically, offhand. Have a peek on the Mocal site. I believe they have some decent tech info on there regarding their units.
      Had a look on the mocal site, It's an interesting site, does show you the flow pattern of these oil stats. If i'm reading correctly there are 4 inlets/outlets and only 1 is closed until 80 degrees c when It opens to flow! When It's closed, flow takes the path of least resistance and flows to the only port not closed or under pressure IE. the route back to the oil source engine /tranny).

The 4th port is connected to the other end of the one that is switched, so oil cannot flow back up It!

Confused? cos I still am .Why then does the oil flow around a longer and more restrictive route when the waxstat opens and not stay flowing around the easiest path? Maybe It flows around both?

Or am I missing summat obvious!
      Attached Files
      www.europa88.co.uk Loadsa mods!

Comment

Some pics of how it's going. Still need to fold an ally stoneguard for the back where the steel inner wing stops short, and make the front plate with grille in it.

The mitsy fan fits neatly behind, and a test of it generates quite a draught through the rad. Dont know if it will survive frequent dunkings, but we shall see!
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by europa88 View Post

Confused? cos I still am .Why then does the oil flow around a longer and more restrictive route when the waxstat opens and not stay flowing around the easiest path? Maybe It flows around both?

Or am I missing summat obvious!
          Looking a Fig 1 (ignoring BMC Fig 2) - I think you're reading too much into it.

Oil from engine (or tranny) flows to - but not through thermostat - as shown in Fig 1 - and flows back. When temp is reached - stat opens - oil flows though cooler - cools - stat starts to close - opens etc etc

Well, that's how I see that diagram.
          Another member of the 'A' team

Comment

Originally posted by The Lovely Boyo View Post
            Looking a Fig 1 (ignoring BMC Fig 2) - I think you're reading too much into it.

Oil from engine (or tranny) flows to - but not through thermostat - as shown in Fig 1 - and flows back. When temp is reached - stat opens - oil flows though cooler - cools - stat starts to close - opens etc etc

Well, that's how I see that diagram.

Trawled through so many websites on this one Iv'e forgotten where I saw that only 1 port is open & closed!

Not that it matters, cos they obviously work, just wondered if they could bypass original rad cooler If plumbed to do so when the stat opens, more of a switch than a valve if that makes sense!

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
              Some pics of how it's going. Still need to fold an ally stoneguard for the back where the steel inner wing stops short, and make the front plate with grille in it.

The mitsy fan fits neatly behind, and a test of it generates quite a draught through the rad. Dont know if it will survive frequent dunkings, but we shall see!
              That looks a seriously poky fan does that!

Comment

Originally posted by europa88 View Post
                That looks a seriously poky fan does that!
                Its the same as the one you have on your intercooler. Exactly the same!

Comment

Ehh?

Mate, I havn't done my cooler yet!

Comment

Tim
                    Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

Hmmm, think I was getting Europa confused with Roy Little...

Comment

Working...
                      X