No announcement yet.

V8 Diesel conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

you will have to convert to a manual box.as rod said the autobox ecu takes into account some engine values.the other problem is a bellhousing you will propably have to fab one up whatever you do.as for idling you can get a pump control that only fires four cylinders under a certain engine rpm.we use them at work on our v8s and it improves fuel consumption ten fold.but dont forget the 6.2 gm v8 only puts out 150 bhp.
    www.overfab.uk

Comment

think i'll have to look into it a bit more see what other engine options is out there but as the tax and test is due april i can feel a project coming on hehe

Comment

Would i be right in thinking the transfer box sits on the back of the gearbox and if i put an engine and box from something else in i could move thetransfer box by lengthening/shortening the prop shafts?

Comment

Originally posted by bigwheeler View Post
          Would i be right in thinking the transfer box sits on the back of the gearbox and if i put an engine and box from something else in i could move thetransfer box by lengthening/shortening the prop shafts?
          your right in thinking the transfer box sits behind the gear box.you can make a plate up that you could weld onto the output casing of the gearbox and mate the transfer case to the rear of you gearbox of choice.you will also need to make a splined sleeve up that would match the transfer box input shaft and you g/box output shaft.then its just a simple case of extending/shortening prop shafts to suit.
          www.overfab.uk

Comment

Surfenstien what mpg do you get out of your v8

i've been thinking
            i have a range rover 3.9 efi sat on my drive which i'm going to break soon

Comment

i've been thinking
              that's probably one of the easiest (read: most common) conversions, a lot of people go for carbed rover engines but i'd keep it EFI if it was me. There's a fair few parts readily available for that conversion too.
              =========
              =SOLD UP!=
              =========

Comment

i've been thinking
                it depends on my driving style,some times if im in a bad mood i get around 9mpg but it can be as good as 16 mpg sometimes if im really good 20mpg.
                www.overfab.uk

Comment

Rite iv'e decided i am going to put the rover v8 in my old Firenza for a fun summer car so i am still looking into a big diesel conversion for the surf as running two petrol v8's will cost a bit to much

Comment

150BHP from 6.2 litres??

Thats one engine that will last a million miles then!
                    Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by breakdowntruck2 View Post
                      4.2 lancruiser lump would be a good one,apparently thats where my turbo came from,so cant be that diffrent,and i can do burnouts with my 3.0 lol,not that ive tried
                      i can do burnouts with my 2.4 no problem
                      Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Marks 4WD make conversion plates for most typical gearboxes.

the 6.5 turbo diesel is the way forward... if you can get one, otherwise the 6.5 diesel will be nice. an F250 7.3 turbo diesel would be extra nice, but try finding one... If you see a written off Ford, try and blag the motor, they're outstanding.

I'm willing to split mine out of the spare cruiser and send it to england if you're really desparate. trust me, you DON'T want one. Flat out, my cruiser is lucky to see 85mph.

www.marks4wd.com

as for fuel economy, the V8 is cheaper than a 4.2 because the 4.2 is such a useless lump of cast iron. the v8 is lighter too.

As a mining company, every vehicle we use is a landcruiser (hence why I have one, the missus has one, I have a spare, and just about everyone else in town has one) and we regularly drive them through water over the bonnet, whilst underground. I'll get you guys some pics next time I'm under.

Comment

Underground offroading.......Hmmmmmmm
                          ' You've arrived on a rather special night. It's one of the master's affairs.'

Comment

Originally posted by BioHazzard View Post
                            Underground offroading.......Hmmmmmmm
                            Serious underground too - there's a regularly stolen sign on 31level of the mine which says "you are now 1 mile underground".

Comment

if you're still looking for a V8 diesel, toyota have released one http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_VD_engine Probably be pricey to buy since brand new, but would be a nice conversion project.
                              Hold my beer and watch this

Comment

Thanks for the offer of the cruiser engine but its no good for the surf as the cruisers are six cylinder and to long for the surf engine bay, thats why im looking into a v8
                                cheers Chris

Comment

Working...
                                X