hilux rover v8 conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hilux rover v8 conversion

Friend has asked me to ask this as he just got his hilux running again after the engine conversion. He has put a rover 3.5 v8 into a mk 3 pickup. Bought a full conversion kit and everything went together really well. Took it for a drive the other day and there's so much movement on the engine mounts the engine's rocked through the radiator or something.

So the question for you v8 guys - what have you done with your engine mounts? Is there a more solid engine mount conversion kit you can buy or have you fabbed your own? Does anyone have any designs or pics of theirs? Or any suggestions? Steve is handy with a welder but if he can help it he'd rather not lift the engine right out again to alter the mounts. Has anyone come across this before?

Cheers Guys,

Nero
    =========
    =SOLD UP!=
    =========

Rimmer Bros 01522 568000 or www.rimmerbros.co.uk do engine mounts for v8's in TR7, SD1 ans Landrover of varying "strengths. Might be worth a try.

Comment

i used the standard surf rubber mounts and made my own steel mounting points.how far away from the rad is the engine,what water pump is he using?
      www.overfab.uk

Comment

Originally posted by surfenstein
        i used the standard surf rubber mounts and made my own steel mounting points.how far away from the rad is the engine,what water pump is he using?
        Not sure to be honest, i will have to go and have a look when i get a chance. It was a pretty standard Range Rover v8 EFI, which had been converted back to twin carb, he's put some other trick bits on at the same time as swapping the engine over i think. From what he said the kit he bought came with a pair of brackets which fitted the original hilux engine mounts on the chassis and the original rover engine mounts on the engine.
        =========
        =SOLD UP!=
        =========

Comment

Most people change the water pump for a 'short nose' one from a different Rover V8 .
          Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

Originally posted by Vagrant No2
            Most people change the water pump for a 'short nose' one from a different Rover V8 .
            Again Rimmer Bros do a short water pump, it is the one off a Rover P6

Comment

Originally posted by Vagrant No2
              Originally posted by kirryjim
              Again Rimmer Bros do a short water pump, it is the one off a Rover P6
              Thanks guys i'll pass on the info
              =========
              =SOLD UP!=
              =========

Comment

there are about six different pumps to choose from,if it were me i would take the pump off and machine the nose down,if he is using the rangerover engine the pump will sit a lot higher than a car engine,the difference being there are two different crank cases,if he can get hold of a car crank case i.e SD1.then the pump would sit lower and would give him more room.
                www.overfab.uk

Comment

Unless you move the rad forward, you will need a short water pump, Mine is from the original Buick motor, it was cheaper to source than the others.

Check the motor mounts arn't broken, they can come unbonded and let the engine move around.
                  4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

thanks again guys i sent the link to this thread on, next time i looked the forum was down. He has strengthened engine and g/box mounts and managed to reduce the movement a bit, still concerned though so i'll suggest the buick/mg/sd1 pump or crankcase.
                    =========
                    =SOLD UP!=
                    =========

Comment

Working...
                    X