Recovery hook at back

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recovery hook at back

Where do I fit a recovery hook at the back of a '91 Surf 2.4TD. Is the left back corner of the chassis , where the tie-down loop is, the right place??
    Paul - NZ
    [COLOR=darkslateblue]Paul - NZ[/COLOR]

Originally posted by SurferNZ
    Where do I fit a recovery hook at the back of a '91 Surf 2.4TD. Is the left back corner of the chassis , where the tie-down loop is, the right place??
    Paul - NZ
    You would be better fitting 2 hooks or eyes. 1 on each side of the chassis and use a "Y" shaped tow line so the pull is evenly spread across the chasis when being retrieved or you are towing someone else.
    NO WORRIES!
    Rusty

Comment

UK 4Runners come with this on one side, goes inside the chassis rain, and down level with the bumper. Very strong, had some big tugs on this one.

A pair would be sweet, one will get you out of trouble.

Only catch is they are usually removed when fitting a tow bar.

Attached Files
      4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
        UK 4Runners come with this on one side, goes inside the chassis rain, and down level with the bumper. Very strong, had some big tugs on this one.

Does that mean they no longer fit if you have a towbar ?
        It would be good to have a strong recovery point at the rear.
        Are there a load of used ones laid in someones garage, or would it be worth ordering them from Toyota ?
        For that matter ....is there a cheap source for strong recovery shackles in the UK. It worries me that some people use standard tow shackles etc.
        These are nowhere near strong enough to recover a 2T surf stuck in the mire
        Geoff http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/10/10_6_5.gif.... http://www.boomspeed.com/carolrobert/police.gif......

Comment

Anybody with a photo of where to fit one??
          Paul - NZ
          [COLOR=darkslateblue]Paul - NZ[/COLOR]

Comment

ooh! dirty boy!
            sure you don't wanna hold hands?
            nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Originally posted by dabigman
              ooh! dirty boy!
              sure you don't wanna hold hands?
              Leave me alone!!!! Stalker!

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by rusty
                You would be better fitting 2 hooks or eyes. 1 on each side of the chassis and use a "Y" shaped tow line so the pull is evenly spread across the chasis when being retrieved or you are towing someone else.
                I use this principle at the front.
                I have fabricated two brackets off the nudge-bar mounts and have a short towing "bridle" so that the load is put over BOTH sides of the chassis.
                At the back I have a genuine Toyoya towbar with the removeable hitch.
                This one is easy.
                Whip the hitch out
                Place eye of tow line or snatch strap in the reciever
                Replace pin
                Tow or be towed stern first
                Last edited by simono; 19 April 2004, 10:43.
                Simon.O.
                '90 SSR Ltd 2.4TD 5 spd

Comment

Originally posted by rusty

Would it be feasible to place some Jate rings or something like this through a witter towbar (already fastened to the chassis in several places) and then use a bridle or Y shaped rope to spread the load, or would this place to much strain on the towbar itself and bolts (would not of thought so seeing that it can pull 2.5 to 3 tons)
                  Gaz

Comment

Here is mine:

Comment

So where do I get one of these from then?

Al.
                      I used to have a surf me!

Comment

Gizzmo's right- a decently strong attachment (MOD Hitch?) on the towbar would do nicely. Surf towbar is attached to the chassis by at least eight M12 bolts. If they all fail then your car is well & truly stuck!

Comment

Working...
                        X