Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winches

what winches are people using?
    Or what would you reccomend? Warn Tabor 9k, Britpart db9500i, T-Max 9500 or somethin else, budget is limited. I think i can get all these around or below £400. Why are champion winches so much cheaper? and has anyone got experience with any of these or relevant manufacturers?
    =========
    =SOLD UP!=
    =========

Originally posted by nero279
    what winches are people using?
    Or what would you reccomend? Warn Tabor 9k, Britpart db9500i, T-Max 9500 or somethin else, budget is limited. I think i can get all these around or below £400. Why are champion winches so much cheaper? and has anyone got experience with any of these or relevant manufacturers?
    I'm using a champion winch and its good
    If it aint broke dont fix it

Comment

I'm very tempted by this one on a well known internet auction site..

Blummin good price!!!! Anyone know if it'll be ok at pulling l**d r****s out of puddles?
      It just does, OK?

Comment

The trouble with the cheaper winches is they are harder to get spares for, and generally have a weaker motors than the Warn/Superwinch old models they are copys of.

Having said that, I doubt most people in this country will use them enough for this to be an issue for the average offroader.

Its like a B&Q battery drill verses a Dewalt, one is £19.99 and one is £300 for a reason. But the £19.99 one is perfectly good for most people who don't want to use it to extremes every day.

Look to getting 8000+lbs for size, the bigger the better, but remember it'll eat weak batterys and alternators.
        4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

what about the ones that connect to power steering pump? are they ok or just a waste of time?
          TeaM BOFA4x4 Mac 2008

www.bofa4x4.com

Comment

Originally posted by andrewlee31
            what about the ones that connect to power steering pump? are they ok or just a waste of time?
            They are much better for long tugs, they will run all day without getting hot, with one important detail, you're motor must be running, although the electric one will drain your battery, you can still extricate yourself with a non-running motor.

Hydraulic ones tend to be a bit slower, and more money, but worth thinking about.

Make sure the power steering pump is up to it as well.
            4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

The thing that's tempting me with the warn is i know the fella who's just got a dealership contract with warn and got his first lot of warns in stock now, so it's tempting a) to help a mate out, b) because i know i'll get good aftersales, c) because it's a warn. But equally for £400 it's basically an entry level winch, whereas some of the other's may actually be the better winches for the same money. The britpart is the other one that's taking my fancy, because it looks nice and neat and compact, and although britpart haven't been in the winch market long, they have been around as a company for a while now i think.

blatant plug: http://www.ltdirect.co.uk/ nowt wrong with giving him some advertising is there?
              =========
              =SOLD UP!=
              =========

Comment

I've had a Goodwinch X9 living inside an ARB bumper for 3 (+) years without a hint of maintenance (if you see the installation you'll understand why) and as it has been regularly dumped in muddy puddles I recently decided it needed a service. When it was stripped all it needed was 2 new drum seals at a cost of around £2. Like Tony says - you get what you pay for
                Roger

My Pointer ate the dog trainer

Comment

i have a X9 fitted with albright solinods, been used for motorsport recovery duty's, long winch pull's up very sleep hills,sumtimes with wheels missing from vehicles, as tony say's you pay your money for better quility, all the licenced motor sport recovery lads use either warn, superwinch, husky,

Comment

Cheers guys, I see where you're coming from with the 'get what you pay for', but i can't afford to spend £800, my budget is round about £400 so i just wanna get the best i can for this sort of money.

How does this look to anyone in the know?

http://www.electricwinches.co.uk/endurance.htm

Also, am i better off with solenoids in the bridge, or remote solenoids that i could mount in the engine bay somewhere? And how resistant are they to being dumped in the mud? Obviously i don't want to be stripping it down after every offroad trip, don't mind servicing it once or twice a year if it's going to need it.
                    Last edited by nero279; 10 December 2006, 23:04.
                    =========
                    =SOLD UP!=
                    =========

Comment

i would go for remote mounted solenoid's that way you can mount the higher up in the engine bay, away from all the $$$$ & make shure the gearbox and motor are well sealed.

Comment

Working...
                      X