Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uprating the front disc brakes

Gentlefolk...

Just breezed through another MOT (just)... and something came up under discussion that started me thinking.

60% efficiency on the front brakes
    30% efficiency on the rear brakes...

"Had one of these in the other day, that got 100% on the front brake test... frightened me it did..." he says...

What options are there to uprate the braking...?

Heard about slightly larger diameter rotors, vented and grooved... more pistons on the calipers... (6 over 4)...

Something about Landcruiser rotors and late 2nd gen calipers...
    Also something about Chevy Master Cylinders and larger bore cylinders...

I suppose this shouldn't be just the front brakes, but the braking system as a whole...

How much braking do you want ! The balance seems about right to me . To much braking will lock the fronts . You always have more braking to front due to weight transfer . I would only consider it if you are towing max loads up and down large hills . Toyota reconed the size is correct and they work OK .
    Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

LA Supertrux used to sell vented and grooved discs for Toys, but can't find them on their website so don't know if they still sell them. They often need better brakes when your running huge tyres (37"+) as you get a lot of rolling momentum to try and stop.

You could justify uprated brakes, if both tanks are full, and the truck loaded up, but in all honesty, Linda's truck stops fine on standard brakes, while towing another Surf on a trailer so I probably wouldn't worry to much.

But I shouldn't discourage you from buying uprated goodies as I fit most of the stuff for you!!

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Just BRAKE with 2 feet instaed of one
        (\__/)
        (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
        (")_(")

Comment

Yup, that is what I am worrying about... brakes appear a little soft...

That and the disparity noticed by the tester, same guy, same stretch of road, two similar vehicles...

brakes that aren't even close to each other in performance...?

Comment

Originally posted by AndyLala
            Gentlefolk...

Just breezed through another MOT (just)... and something came up under discussion that started me thinking.

60% efficiency on the front brakes
            30% efficiency on the rear brakes...

"Had one of these in the other day, that got 100% on the front brake test... frightened me it did..." he says...

What options are there to uprate the braking...?

Heard about slightly larger diameter rotors, vented and grooved... more pistons on the calipers... (6 over 4)...

Something about Landcruiser rotors and late 2nd gen calipers...
            Also something about Chevy Master Cylinders and larger bore cylinders...

I suppose this shouldn't be just the front brakes, but the braking system as a whole...
            just use ya left foot..................oh my god................IT STOPS QUICK......
            CHEERS JOHN................

Comment

Originally posted by AndyLala
              Yup, that is what I am worrying about... brakes appear a little soft...

That and the disparity noticed by the tester, same guy, same stretch of road, two similar vehicles...

brakes that aren't even close to each other in performance...?
              Can't remember now, but have you got braided flexible hoses Andy? If you replace all the rubber lines with these, they often make the brake feel less spongy and the rubber bulges under heavy braking, but the braided lines tend to hold the rubber inner the right shape.

Also what pads to have in, maybe try some genuine Toy pads and shoes

Comment

i got stainless braided hoses for mine and got new front disc's 12 grooved by a local machine shop....
                3.0 TD SSR-X LTD 1994 Black, sold and passed MOT

Comment

You could always attach an anchor to the back of yer truck, with a release mechanism in the cab.
                  You'd probably need to carry a bucket of hot tarmac around with you though in case you make a mess of the road from using the anchor.

Comment

Hi all im new to the Surf scene having just bought one but as being a mechanic for the past 20 years and even owning my own garage i find the brakes on my 95 3.0td absolutely pants im a qualified MOT tester and have to admit if i was testing it i,d question the feel of the brakes as they dont seem up to the job of stopping the truck in a hurry Apart from that ****** good motor very impressed as i went from a M3 BMW to the Surf thats quite some statment

Comment

Originally posted by BULLDOG
                      Hi all im new to the Surf scene having just bought one but as being a mechanic for the past 20 years and even owning my own garage i find the brakes on my 95 3.0td absolutely pants im a qualified MOT tester and have to admit if i was testing it i,d question the feel of the brakes as they dont seem up to the job of stopping the truck in a hurry Apart from that ****** good motor very impressed as i went from a M3 BMW to the Surf thats quite some statment
                      A Surfs brakes trying to stop 31" tyres are never gonna feel like a M3!! Ours work fine, A quick stomp will squeal the tyres nicely to wake up dozey drivers cutting lanes.

Comment

Granted its not going to be up to the stopping power of my BMW and not saying all surfs are the same just commenting on how mine come across to me I appreciate its a big truck and will take a lot to haul it up but i feel like it could do with a tad more stopping power

Comment

...what hes trying to say is while the brakes are adequate, whats available to improve?!

lol, my first guess would be to get round the breakers and have a look at the stoppers on the big land cruisers etc. rear discs?

other options are to alter the equation

braking is simply the force required to stop the weight your carrying, reduce the weight of the vehicle, reduce the amount to stop = stopping easier! should go quicker too..
                          VW Taro (hilux single cab PU) - 31" rubber, H/D springs and shackles, LSD, 4 pot front callipers, 2.4 N/A Flymo engine..

Comment

Mine is the same as Tony's. when i stamp on em the front locks up nicely...
                            3.0 TD SSR-X LTD 1994 Black, sold and passed MOT

Comment

now, have you all replaced your fluid, bled brakes correctly etc.???

that can make a big difference... braided hoses are good... old hoses can break down inside and affect braking too.
                              nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Working...
                              X