Bigger turbo's?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bigger turbo's?

Having just shown some friends my new Surf, they laughed at the size of the turbo! I've not actually looked at it till now, (why would you?) and they are right, it's the smallest turbo I've ever seen!

Now having just sold a twin turbo RX-7, I know a fair bit about them, but I don't have a clue about diesels. Is there a simple upgrade for the 3.0ltr KZN-185?
    I know the fuel injector rate would need a boost too, but is this done manually or is that taken care of by the ECU? And I guess Ignition timing has nothing to do with it now ..... being a diesel!

Cheers guy's,
    Sean
    Cheers,
    Sean

so just to check... it works fine, truck goes ok, you just want a bigger turbo cos its bigger?
    theres much easier ways to go faster....
    far easier to rip into your mates about them being being fine ones to laugh at small things...
    it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

try here for info http://www.well.com/~mosk/biggerturbo.htm it`s not cheap, but you probably want a garrett hybrid/rollerbearing, you may want to sort out inlet and exhaust first, good luck.
      ray

Comment

Bigger turbo = more boost = more fuel!!!

Cheers, Nick
        "The force will be with you, always!"

Comment

Originally posted by Chillitt
          so just to check... it works fine, truck goes ok, you just want a bigger turbo cos its bigger?
          theres much easier ways to go faster....
          far easier to rip into your mates about them being being fine ones to laugh at small things...
          hehe, basicly, thats what I was gonna type!

Go on fit a huge turbo, but when it blows the bottem end to peices, don't come running to us!

Insercurity is a major character flaw.
          4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Bigger turbo = more turbo lag and not neccessarily more boost, You will notice how most cars have smaller rather than larger turbos - two turbos is the way to go or...

Intercool it.

Plus you don't want to go putting too much boost through the Surf engine - it isn't designed for it and won't like it.

If you want to run seriously high boost levels you will need to do a ton of work on the engine including.

Reduce compression ratio
            Strengthen the Main bearings - maybe put straps across them.
            Forged pistons and con rods
            Blueprint and balance the engine.
            Bigger radiator
            High capacity water pump
            Charge cooling - intercooling or water injection

Etc Etc Etc.

You can quite easily get 11psi out of the current turbo with acceptable lag and that is probably about the most you want to run with and then not all the time - adjustable boost controller is the way to go.

The Surf isn't a Scooby

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by ssray
              try here for info http://www.well.com/~mosk/biggerturbo.htm it`s not cheap, but you probably want a garrett hybrid/rollerbearing, you may want to sort out inlet and exhaust first, good luck.
              ray
              THATS A GREAT SITE TONS OF INFO.
              www.overfab.uk

Comment

Working...
              X