Cleaning The Engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning The Engine

Could Anyone Tell Me If It Is Ok To Wash My Engine With My Power Washer And If It Is What I Have To Avoid. I Usually Pay For It Doing After Winter But Saw Someone Doing Theirs At A Car Wash So Wondered If It Was Ok To Do? Any Advice Is Appreciated, Thanks

I'd use a steam cleaner if I could - jet washer sounds a bit too wet , I think with a jet washer you might end up forcing water in the air intakes/fitler set-up.

Comment

I have cleaned my engine with the pressure washer several times without causing any problems. I usually do it when it is almost cold. Apply the foam. Let it get to work and rinse off without getting in too close. I try to avoid the alternator, fuse box etc. I wouldn't do it to a petrol though.

Discalimer: Just because I have got away with it doesn't mean everyone will.
      It's only a hobby!

Comment

Originally posted by kitesurf_phil
        I have cleaned my engine with the pressure washer several times without causing any problems. I usually do it when it is almost cold. Apply the foam. Let it get to work and rinse off without getting in too close. I try to avoid the alternator, fuse box etc. I wouldn't do it to a petrol though.

Discalimer: Just because I have got away with it doesn't mean everyone will.
        The missus comes in handy, I find.

Comment

Leaving it parked in muddy water didn't hurt it...........

So clean water won't.

Its OK, just removes all you cam belt/oil change and battery info labels!
          4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

The driver looks as though he"s fell a sleep. lol

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN

So clean water won't.

"is it a boat,plane, No, its a surf.lol

Comment

Originally posted by scouzzer1964
                The driver looks as though he"s fell a sleep. lol
                Just my laid back style................

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

probably pressure washed mine at least 6 times now -- GUNK is the best stuff but I cant find the foam variety any more
                  Tim
                  Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

Originally posted by dirtydog
                    probably pressure washed mine at least 6 times now -- GUNK is the best stuff but I cant find the foam variety any more
                    Mr Muscle Orange Action sprayed on and left for a while is pretty good. Good for getting oil spots off the drive too. Don't tell Mrs KS I nick it though.
                    It's only a hobby!

Comment

Luckily I've got my hands on some truck wash...just add loads of water to it to thin it down and boy does it clear a lot of crap off the vehicle.

If you have a petrol...then could be a problem!...I have pressured washed a petrol engine down but with the engine running to keep water out.

Diesel engine should be fine, just have the pressure washer some distance from all the major components.
                      Gaz

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN

So clean water won't.

Just fills up you footwells too! Brown carpet mats anyone?
                        I NEED TO OFFROAD!

Comment

Originally posted by Danno
                          Just fills up you footwells too! Brown carpet mats anyone?
                          are they not standard fitment?
                          Tim
                          Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

Engine Cleaning

Thanks For All Your Suggestions, Someone Mentioned Steam Cleaning The Engine Instead Of Pressure Washing It?. I Have One Of Those Hand Held Steam Cleaners Do You Think This Would Do The Job Better Than Washing?. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by WADDY
                              Thanks For All Your Suggestions, Someone Mentioned Steam Cleaning The Engine Instead Of Pressure Washing It?. I Have One Of Those Hand Held Steam Cleaners Do You Think This Would Do The Job Better Than Washing?. Thanks
                              Take it to a local garage for a good steam clean. They'll do a good job for £20 or so. No oily mess on YOUR drive either!!

Nevillef
                              Last edited by laser_jock@work; 13 May 2005, 13:04.

Comment

Working...
                              X