Lifts Shocks Etc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lifts Shocks Etc

Can anyone tell me the reasons for lifting a surf by a few inches?
    Mebbe I'm dumb . How hard/easy is it to change the shocks? , what are disadvantages and advantages of doing both these things?

Main (sensible) reason is for better off-roading ability. Increase your approach/departure angles (i.e. less likely to dent something going up/down slopes etc). Also you can fit bigger tyres which can be an advantage off road, partly becuase bigger tyres = higher off the ground (including the axles).

Also the rear springs on Surfs always sag after a while so new springs are sometimes required and people often fit a full kit then. Other reasons can be just for looks.

A body lift lifts the body higher away from the chassis - relatively simple and cheap (for 1 or 2" lifts anyway), a bit of advantage for off roading or fitting bigger tyres but not that much. Usually done just for looks or in combination with a suspension lift to allow bigger tyres.

A suspension lift usually involves replacing rear springs and tweaking the front tortion bars or replacing all 4 shocks too. A 4" lift involves a lot more work and parts and is very expensive.

Dunno how hard it is to fit a lift kit, not done it yet but could be fitting a 2" kit soon...
    No longer a Surf owner.

Comment

2" lift sounds good to me, i want my surf for looks only not really for off road. I'd like to know how much this would cost and where id get it done (i live in the north east).

Comment

Not really near you but LA Supertrux in Northamptonshire will supply and fit:
        http://www.supertrux.com/acatalog/4_..._Lux_Surf.html

Again, not near you but Roughtrax (Bristol) will supply (not sure about fitting):
        http://www.toyotahilux.com/

but you could just mail-order the kit and get a local garage to fit.

You are talking about £400 for a kit (4 shocks, 2 springs and 2 tortion bars) unfitted.
        No longer a Surf owner.

Comment

Working...
        X