Raise ?why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raise ?why?

Having just looked at the members pics there is one of a surf with a 8" Raise
    I thought it ok from the side profile looks like you get loads of clearance for off roading. Then the rear view shows that the diffs are still low and may have come up an inch or two so not a lot gained by the big lift. Unless you are river crossing then why not use a snorkle.
    What is the point of such a big lift or is that the only way of getting such big tyres on to get the diffs (axles) higher??
    Can somone tell me where I am missing the point here
    Cheers
    Mark

You got the point in the last bit, only reason really for a lift is to get bigger tyres on which gives you the clearance underneath. A lift will also improve the departure and approach angles

Comment

Originally posted by lucky
      You got the point in the last bit, only reason really for a lift is to get bigger tyres on which gives you the clearance underneath. A lift will also improve the departure and approach angles
      Or possibly just coz the owner likes the look of it!

Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

A lift will also improve the departure and approach angles
        I had'nt got that bit
        Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by madcampbell
          I had'nt got that bit
          Thanks
          Also, assuming its suspension, rather than body lift, will improve the ramp break-over angle
          ie a suspension lift will allow you to tackle a descent that drops at greater angle from the flat surface you are currently on
          Maurice
          Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

Anyone know of a good lift kit?

Comment

Originally posted by stan
              Anyone know of a good lift kit?
              LA Supertrux do a 2" suspension kit (and bigger for that matter) http://www.supertrux.com/
              Roughtrax sell them too http://www.toyotahilux.com/
              Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Linda
                LA Supertrux do a 2" suspension kit (and bigger for that matter) http://www.supertrux.com/
                Roughtrax sell them too http://www.toyotahilux.com/

I got the 4 inch lift on at the moment. The front suspension has been uprated a lot more than the back with extra shocks, etc. It sorta makes for interesting handling in extreme on road circumstances as the bag saggs under a lot of load.

Comment

get better articulation too cos the wheels can travel upwards further rather than jamming up inside the arches...
                  nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Originally posted by da SLUG man
                    get better articulation too cos the wheels can travel upwards further rather than jamming up inside the arches...
                    yeah, bigger wheels are the only way you increase diff clearances (unless you fit some nice portal axles), but bigger wheels need more room above them for the suspension to work, so then need suspension/body lift (or take a jig saw to the arches) to clear them.

Then there's just posers as well...........

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

that'll be me then !!

Comment

Portal Axles, eh?

http://www.intrans.co.uk/index.htm

Hummers seem to have upsidedown V shaped axles, and Unimogs seem to have the axle centre line above the hub centre line (portal?).

I like the look of raised 4WDs, specially Surfs and Cherokees, cos of their lowish bodies, but I've always wondered if the guy in the raised machine wouldn't get stuck in the same rut as the guy in the standard truck, cos of the diffs being in the same position?

It'd be great to see a Surf with front and rear upsidedown V axles... Delboy?

mark
                        :

Comment

Originally posted by silvtr1000

It'd be great to see a Surf with front and rear upsidedown V axles... Delboy?

mark
                          If i ever roll over Mark, i'll give you a call!
                          Derek :
                          1990 Hilux Surf SSR Ltd
                          [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]S[/U][/COLOR][/B]ave [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]U[/U][/COLOR][/B]p [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]R[/U][/COLOR][/B]eadies [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]F[/U][/COLOR][/B]ast. Cause you're gonna need them!

Comment

How about the new Jeep concept, 2 engines, 4 propshafts and split live axles (i.e. a live axle split in the middle to allow it to pivot like an IFS one but without loss of suspension travel cos no CV joints to worry about.

Portal axles would be great but hard to get hold of, saw something about a Landrover with portal axles fitted from an old volvo something.

Cheers

Comment

How about the new Jeep concept, 2 engines, 4 propshafts and split live axles (i.e. a live axle split in the middle to allow it to pivot like an IFS one but without loss of suspension travel cos no CV joints to worry about.

Portal axles would be great but hard to get hold of, saw something about a Landrover with portal axles fitted from an old volvo something.

Cheers
                              Volvo portals mostly come from a C303, its a great looking truck.

Have a look at the pics and you'll see how much better they are for diff clearance compared to normal axles. With very little modification to truck needed.

http://www.scorpionracing.co.uk/OFFR...portalaxle.htm

Plus they all have lockers in them.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Working...
                              X