cold starting missing a beat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cold starting missing a beat

Hi all.... I have noticed on the last few chilly mornings that when the engine starts and which I must say it starts at the first turn of the engine, it has a few misses as if it's not running on all the cylinders, it's only for a very short while and seems ok as soon as you pull away, is this a normal surf thing?

Try letting the plugs warm up a little longer. They carry on heating up for a while after the lamp goes out on the dash. I wait till I hear 2 'clicks', the second one being quite faint (with the keys left in siren screeming it's hard to hear sometimes) or try switching the ignition on and off a couple of times. If these things dont work, it might be worth getting your glow plugs checked out.
    Pete

Comment

Originally posted by snowwolf
      Hi all.... I have noticed on the last few chilly mornings that when the engine starts and which I must say it starts at the first turn of the engine, it has a few misses as if it's not running on all the cylinders, it's only for a very short while and seems ok as soon as you pull away, is this a normal surf thing?
      .............................. .............................. .............................. ........

I reckon this is a trait of diesel engines. I have an old 4trak which does the same thing - its a 2.8TDi. What I do, is switch on the ignition and wait for the glow plug light to go off , then switch off and back on again and the glow plug light comes back on - as soon as it goes out, I start the engine and it runs fine.(If its really cold, I do it three times)
      I haven't had a problem with my surf - yet! - but the cold mornings are coming! Bit of a frost this morning.

Anyway, hope that helps.
      Redneck

Comment

same problem

I have the same problem, but only fitted new plugs 2000k ago, so i just leave it a few seconds after lamp goes out and all seems fine.

Steve

ssrx
        Dave ssrx 3.0td Ltd auto Gen2

Comment

Originally posted by snowwolf
          sounds like one of your plugs isnt working
          [font=Times New Roman][size=3]
          [size=5][/size]
          [/size][/font][font=Times New Roman][size=3][b][i][color=blue]I[/color][color=royalblue]a[/color][color=deepskyblue]n[/color] [color=blue]トヨタの[/color][color=royalblue]波92 のssr[/color][color=deepskyblue][color=royalblue]-g[/color] 擁護者[/color][/i][/b][/size][/font]

Comment

jerks

Thanks for the replies, I will try out the suggestions above and let you know how I get on, a little added question as we are on the diesel thing.
            When driving during the day I don't notice any smoke at all behind me when I accelerate, but at night when I do, I see smoke in the headlights of the car behind, has anyone else seen this while accelerating in the dark and being followed by another vehicle, I don't mean having my foot flat to the floor, just above average acceleration.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowwolf
              When driving during the day I don't notice any smoke at all behind me when I accelerate, but at night when I do, I see smoke in the headlights of the car behind
              Now that you mention it I see it too ???
              I have been using Redex and thought the smoke had gone as I can hardly see any in the daylight but at night it's like a fog.
              Ian
              One day my paranoia will go away!

Comment

It's a Diesel!
                If life's an uphill struggle then downhill from now on can't be that bad?!

Comment

Originally posted by rich
                  It's a Diesel!
                  hehe, yeah, expect some, ever watch a tractor pull or truck racing? (before they fitted smoke reducers) a diesel under load will make plenty black smoke.

But a clean, well serviced road car should only make a small puff at high revs.
                  4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Working...
                  X