Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Heater Matrix Leaking

Hello All,

Had a scare tonight on the motorway, The temp guage started to go up so I put the front heater onto hot and then reached behind to do the same to the rear heater. I though this would be a good idea to give the car a much cooling as possible.

When I did put my hand back to the rear heater temp control it was all sopping wet.

Decided to remove the rear heater matrix and found it to be holed on the bottom corner but, I also buggered on of the pipes getting the rubber tube off.

Anyone know were I can get a new rear heater matrix from and if so how much.

I am open to a second hand unit if any of you guys and girls has one laying around.

Give me a call on 07817 252 902 or send email to:

mike.boreham@johnsondiversey.c om

Thanks in advance.

Mike B

PM HILUX he may have one mate or try http://www.silverlakeautoparts.co.uk/Default.aspx
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
    (")_(")

Comment

If you can not get one new or seconhand , John at Viking rads near me , Harrow , will rebuild it for you . Mention the Forum as he has done work for us and me before .

0208 427 6400
      Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

For a temporary fix locate the two small hoses around thermostat housing that feed the rear heater.Disconnect both hoses and using another piece of hose connect the two metel pipes together forming a loop in the hose.You could also plug both of these if a suitable size rubber cap can be obtained.A hose clamp on the caps will be needed to prevent them coming off.

Neville

Comment

It's all sorted now.

Removed the centre armrest and split the heater assembly casing.

Removed the rad and Pipes to find a little hole in the bottom of the rad.

Took it to a mate who replaced the bottom of the heater rad with a new piece and pressure tested it.

He said the repair would cost a customer approx £30 so not to bad. Free to me, Yipee.

what he did say was that the brass it's made from was crap and to stop it corroding like that again to either keep the rear heater setting on warm or open it once a week or something to stop the water settling on there and causing damage.

So all sorted now and thanks for the advice.

Cheers

Comment

A decent anti freeze will protect from corrosion as well as stop the coolant freezing so it is worth keeping it topped up through the summer as well as winter. I thought brass was non corroding though. Having said that if it is thin, any crud in the system will errode the brass as it is very soft.

Comment

Working...
            X