4wd puzzle.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4wd puzzle.....

been testing things out on my surf this evening....

93 2.4 auto

have read all the stuff i could find related to this but still at a loss....

Problem:

push the side 4wd button in H everything fine.
    move to neutral - select L4 and things are fine.
    try to move the lever back into H4 and the gear grinds? wont go back into L4.

So i then have to move into park to select H - push the side button... nothing?

move back into neutral then back into park - push side button in H - Fine again?

all this is done parked in drive... never driven in 4wd... YET!!

Hence my fiddling....

Hope this make some sense.....

Cheers

Originally posted by lagmonkey
    been testing things out on my surf this evening....

93 2.4 auto

have read all the stuff i could find related to this but still at a loss....

Problem:

push the side 4wd button in H everything fine.
    move to neutral - select L4 and things are fine.
    try to move the lever back into H4 and the gear grinds? wont go back into L4.

So i then have to move into park to select H - push the side button... nothing?

move back into neutral then back into park - push side button in H - Fine again?

all this is done parked in drive... never driven in 4wd... YET!!

Hence my fiddling....

Hope this make some sense.....

Cheers
    I think you have to press the gas pedal to engage/disengage the 4x4 mode.

Comment

doesn't a translation of the manual say something about moving the vehicle backwards and forwards (slightly) to disengage 4wd... Probably the same shifting high to low gears...AndyL

Comment

Its better to be rolling to engage 4wd, if the ADD coller is not lined up on the splines it won't move over and lock the two halves of the left front drive shaft, and the light won't come on.

You need to be in park or N to get out of 4wd Low smoothly in autos.
        4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

cheers... makes sense if you think....

Ill give it another go...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
            Its better to be rolling to engage 4wd, if the ADD coller is not lined up on the splines it won't move over and lock the two halves of the left front drive shaft, and the light won't come on.

You need to be in park or N to get out of 4wd Low smoothly in autos.
            tried the 4wd tonight on some muddy mud/grass but sounded like it enaged and seemed ok but no light on the dash. 1 time i engaged and the light flickered on but stayed off (did this while parked) 4wd was on though as i heard a wheel lock up (on gravel) - didnt try again too scared.
            so are you sating its best to be on the slippy stuff whilst driving then press 4wd while going along?

anyone ever had the 4wd light flash and beep? it did this once I think too

the muddy bit is near me so i can try again sometime
            Tim
            Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

My manual offers the following information:

The electronic 4WD button can be activated when in H range at any speed up to 100km/hr on all types except gasoline automatic. These have a different type of transfer box. It seems that it is disarmed above this speed (and may automatically disengage although I've not tried this). You should also be travelling in a straight line and I have found that it may take a few seconds to engage and the dash light to come on. Reverting to 2WD can be made at any time, again while travelling in a straight line.

The manual says:
              "If the dash display does not go out, stop the vehicle and reverse a little (if it is safe to do so)."

"When the 4WD switch is switched ON, should a buzzer sound, switch the system OFF again, stop the vehicle and try again."

When moving from H to L4, on manual types have the vehicle travelling forward at less than 8km/hr, on Automatic types have the vehicle stationary and in N neutral.

Note: If the lever is not in either H or L4 properly, the P (park) lock will not be effective at all and you will only have the handbrake.

When moving from L4 to H, on manual types press in the clutch before shifting, on automatic types stop the vehicle and put the gearshift to N neutral again before moving the 4WD lever.

The above is all out of my owners handbook.

As mentioned elsewhere, 4WD is for offroad or very slippery conditions use only. Use on dry or even wet metalled roads will put enormous strain on the transmission and result in accellerated tyre wear due to the absence of a central differential.

Cheers

Kev

Comment

Originally posted by exmee46
                My manual offers the following information:

The electronic 4WD button can be activated when in H range at any speed up to 100km/hr on all types except gasoline automatic. These have a different type of transfer box. It seems that it is disarmed above this speed (and may automatically disengage although I've not tried this). You should also be travelling in a straight line and I have found that it may take a few seconds to engage and the dash light to come on. Reverting to 2WD can be made at any time, again while travelling in a straight line.

The manual says:
                "If the dash display does not go out, stop the vehicle and reverse a little (if it is safe to do so)."

"When the 4WD switch is switched ON, should a buzzer sound, switch the system OFF again, stop the vehicle and try again."

When moving from H to L4, on manual types have the vehicle travelling forward at less than 8km/hr, on Automatic types have the vehicle stationary and in N neutral.

Note: If the lever is not in either H or L4 properly, the P (park) lock will not be effective at all and you will only have the handbrake.

When moving from L4 to H, on manual types press in the clutch before shifting, on automatic types stop the vehicle and put the gearshift to N neutral again before moving the 4WD lever.

The above is all out of my owners handbook.

As mentioned elsewhere, 4WD is for offroad or very slippery conditions use only. Use on dry or even wet metalled roads will put enormous strain on the transmission and result in accellerated tyre wear due to the absence of a central differential.

Cheers

Kev
                cheers mate I have a manual but not read it all yet! put my mind at ease about the buzzer - seems all pretty normal now. Guess Ill have to find some more mud to try it for sure!
                Cheers
                Tim
                Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

Working...
                X