Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not the typical starter problem?

Hi!

I have been reading this forum couple of years now, but this is my first post. Sorry for my spelling, im from finland.

First of all my surf is -96 KZN185 srrx 3.0D Auto.

I want to thank all the members in this forum because i have had excellent tips how to improve my surf. (and keep it running )

So to the issue. My surf is suffering a weird starter problem. When i turn the ignition key the starter may just spin freely, it doesnt turn engine over. Strange is this happens only at cold weather ( below 0°C) Usually it then will turn over and start after couple of tries. But in example -25°C or so it's almost impossible to start. Sometimes it will first turn the engine and then just drop off and spin free.

By this far i have tried:
    -2 new starters
    -Cleaned all the connectors including engine earth
    -Made new engine earth connection
    -Overrided current cable with jumper cable
    -Battery should be fine (also tried with another good battery and with two battery at the same time)
    -Overrided starter relay by feedin 12V straight from battery to starter (this also rule out the ignition)
    -The gear ring? is fine. No bent, worn or missing tooth.

I cant undestand how is cold weather doing this, because i dont have any problems in summer

If anyone could help i would really appreciate it.

Just 2 weeks ago I had the same problem with my newer of my two Surfs, (2nd Gen) went to see a Electrical Engineer hes done some checks on state of Batteries n as it's n Auto take it home & remove the starter & return it to him.
    This was late in the day so returned with the removed starter on Saturday morning n in 15 mins returned with my starter "as good as new" he said + £30 Fee n hey presto it's all good n Guaranteed .....
    Btw My older Surf after 8+ years use has seen no such problems with starter ..
    & I've never changed a headlamp bulb in 15+ Years

15+ Years of Surfs .... n Faultless to a "T" is my Yota !! So I got another ....
    Buncefield Burner

Comment

my guess is the clutch in the starter is freezing and not engaging.

Comment

Originally posted by tweak'e View Post
        my guess is the clutch in the starter is freezing and not engaging.
        But i have alreadu tried with new starter and it has still the same problem.

Comment

assuming new one is good and its only happening a really low temps, then i guess its either binding (any lube inside or moisture freezing) or battery output has dropped so much it can't engage the the starter.

i would be trying new batteries. possibly get some that have more output.
          batteries do not like the cold.
          also can you check what voltage it drops to on start up.

Comment

The voltage was around 8V when i measured it, but it was about -32C at the time.

Comment

Working...
            X