Tracking headache!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tracking headache!

(Had put this in 3.0L section but probably better here)
    It seems no matter where I get my tracking/alignment done it goes out before I've even got home! There is obviously some underlying issue but can't seem to find anyone interested in looking at it and fixing it. Anybody know anyone in this field?
    It's got to the point where it's a battle just to drive to the shops! Drove to the Alps last year and needed two days off when I got back as I was knackered from stress of wrestling the wheel although I think my wavey style fitted in well with the local French traffic though!
    Would also love a recommendation for a pro garage/mechanic local to Reading that won't whinge when I turn up in my truck (some mechanics seem genuinely scared of these surfs!).

you havent said what is happening
    theres no way tracking could go back
    out that fast are you sure its not just a balance prob
    or tyres got bumps in them
    does it pull to one side
    any garage that does tracking should be able to
    sort that out no probs down this way to get tracking done
    the old git

Comment

Used to handle perfect, tyres are 33" Goodrich and in good shape.
      Basically will be driving in a fairly straight line and then get huge pull to the right, there's a lot of play in the steering wheel as well so makes correcting difficult.
      Struggling trying to recall things that have been done when problems arose, had it off the road for a couple of years mainly because of this problem.
      I had some Land Rover 'expert' do the tracking/camber/castor one time (at a well known drive through tyre place near Basingstoke) as he said it was all set up wrong and he really messed it up, made the truck feel twitchy and unstable and it had always felt fairly tight before, even for a lifted truck.
      Also had some nylon bushes fitted a couple of years ago in Devon and the garage didn't re-track the truck before I left (had picked up the truck as they were closing for the day and only found this out driving on the motorway from Devon to Reading, very scary!). Have subsequently had the tracking done several times, but always the same issue.
      Feels very unstable turning left, pulls strong to the right out the blue and just needs constant tweaking to stay in a straight line.

Comment

Also had a mobile company come out, the guy was brilliant and got it set bang on but still same problem. He came back twice for free to do the alignment again but couldn't work out why it had gone out so quick.

Comment

Hi Bash,

What surf do you have, 2nd or 3rd Gen?
          What lift do you have? Suspension lift?

Cheers!

Comment

Hi Tashtego,

I have a 2nd Gen, 4" superlift kit and 1.5" body lift. Also custom made Fox shocks. 33" BFG's.

Comment

Ah ok...

I thought it was a 3rd Gen. In my case the lower ball joints having a lot of play somehow affected the alignment. When they were replaced the alignment was redone with no problems.

Surely all that suspension lift must affect the geometry...

Good luck with it anyway

Comment

well i would say its nowt to do with
                tracking
                steering box
                steering joints
                wheel bearings
                deffo sumit linked to the steering
                get somebody to look at all joints
                ect plus antirool bushes
                the old git

Comment

Originally posted by bryanisaoldgit View Post
                  well i would say its nowt to do with
                  tracking
                  steering box
                  steering joints
                  wheel bearings
                  deffo sumit linked to the steering
                  get somebody to look at all joints
                  ect plus antirool bushes
                  also i run my old one on 33s
                  never any prob with them
                  the old git

Comment

Hi Brianisaoldgit

Yeah i really want someone to take a proper look, I explain the situation but always end up with the same stock reply of 'It's just yer tracking mate, or probably just the big tyres!'

Drives me nuts

Hopefully someone on here can recommend someone near me.

Comment

Also posted on ya other thread ....
                      Originally posted by Diezel Weazel View Post
                      After having my lower wishbone replaced I had my tracking, caster n camber done all in one go locally at STS ....

See here http://www.4x4toys.co.uk/
                      Good Luck

14+ Years of Surfs .... n Faultless to a "T" is my Yota !! So I got another ....
                      Buncefield Burner

Comment

I can't speak for the 2nd gen, but the 3rd gen adjustment bolts have a high torque specification. (130NM)

Most people don't bother torqueing up properly, or use a standard torque spec (probably on a torque wrench that's been bashed about and left at tension and is way out anyway).

I got mine back from being done after giving them the specified settings that I needed and telling them I require that torque... (including my upper adjustment bolt rated at 162NM)

Drove it home checked the settings, they were way out, by then the wheels had already been knocked out of alignment on the pot holed Oxfordshire country lanes.

I'd love to find a decent place I could trust locally, that would do a proper job, with before and after readouts.
                        More Lift.
                        More Tyres.
                        More Engine.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies. I happened to be in Brum on Friday so dropped in at Westgate classics (off of the telly, some amazing motors in that place!). Explained the problem I was having, chap there took a quick look and seemed to think it was most likely to do with track rod ends, (although I've had these replaced already before but this made no difference). He said to start there and did actually seem to give a s**t, which was nice
                          However, driving back from brum to reading was a flippin' nightmare, no way I'm driving this truck on a motorway again until its fixed, especially not in high winds! So I have called a few local garages, most of whom have said outright they're not interested on working on this type of vehicle, I just don't understand this, it's not that unusual, it's still a mechanically simple vehicle just a bit taller with bigger tyres not exactly a rocket ship!
                          Anyway have booked in at David Bray engineers in Henley on Thames as they seemed to be the only ones locally willing to take a look, anyone know if these guys are any good?

Comment

My 2nd gen was a bit wandery, I didn't bother with garages, if you haven't already got one, get a manual and work through all the steering components one at a time yourself, it ain't difficult.
                            If you have oversized tyres, it could be the tyre pressures. I have 31 inch tyres with pressure of 30psi in all of them.
                            Check the steering box, it could need adjustment or replacing.
                            Tie rod ends
                            Drop links
                            Shocks
                            Steering damper
                            Ball joints ( upper and lower )
                            Wish bones ( upper and lower ), they might have cracks or be bent / damaged

Just check everything

Comment

I've never heard of David Bray engineers... and I live in Henley!

I hope they treat you well! It would be great to have a decent local place that does a full alignment.. not just "Tracking"

Please let us know how you get on!
                              More Lift.
                              More Tyres.
                              More Engine.

Comment

Working...
                              X