yobit eobot.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Turbo - need to reduce boost pressure!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Turbo - need to reduce boost pressure!

Hi All,

First a thanks for an excellent forum that I've used from time to help service and fix my surfs [x2]. Both are 3rd Gen Jap import surfs 1996 1KZTE 3lt engines.
    They run happily on the biodiesel home brew and have done so for 100,00km without major problems.

Background to problem
    However, one car started smoking real bad. On start up and in traffic. Ok when cruising. NO performance issue. Gradually worsening over a few weeks. Gave car a full/ needed service - no better. Injectors 4 years old - changed them - no better. Figured it was the turbo seals going.

Bit the bullet and set aside 2 days, and purchased a new CT12b turbo [very reasonable at £150!] Read manual and how change it. Spent 4 hours getting if off, 8 hours putting the new one back on. Rusted bolts; difficult access; banjo bolts in pig horrible places. Bruised knuckles but sorted in one long day.

Smoke sorted [yeah] so diagnosis right. Car goes like a bat-out-of-hell...BUT...

Problem. When the car is pushed [usually uphills] and turbo straining at its max, the engine management light comes on and the car loses power and the turbo whine varies with it. Wondering what I've done wrong I check the turbo - all ok. The Engine fault code was 35 ='Boost pressure sensor'. Checked the sensor - even swopping it for a known good one; replaced the small filter that it's the vacuum hose to the sensor - no change. Decided to check the turbo with a boost guage, so fitted one of these to monitor the inlet manifold pressure. It seems the turbo is rather powerful peaking at 15psi!
    Now reading around the various forums I understand the 1kzte ECU doesn't like this high pressure, so at around 13-14 psi cuts the fuel - hence the surging and power loss I'm getting. My question is - How do I reduce the psi my new turbo is producing?

It seems to me that other than change the turbo [over my dead body], I could swop the waste gate actuator for an after market one [Mamba] and change the spring to open the waste gate earlier.

Is there another way, or am I over looking something. Thoughts very welcome.

Andy

Check the actuator is in spec:
    Attached Files

Comment

fit a boost controller?

Comment

Thanks

Originally posted by Lewd Lux Lover View Post
        fit a boost controller?
        Thanks for the replies. I figured a boost controller would only be able to boost ie delay the opening of the wastegate, not reduce it?
        I guess it is the wastegate actuator out of whack. I Decided to go far a 'Mamba' actuator with an assortment of springs so I can adjust the opening pressure. Will let you know if it works ...

Comment

Working...
        X