Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kzn130 inner cv joint/plunge joint

Hi,

After replacing both outer cv joints and all boots I noticed both the inner cv joint has some scoring and pitting from friction on the inside, I put it all back together and the outer cv joint noises are gone but I am left with light clunking from the inner cv joint driving at low speeds even when in 2wd.

Where can I get the inner cv joint from?
    Last edited by sleepy; 20 November 2015, 18:18. Reason: Updated

The only ones I have been able to find so far are from miners and are 60 quid each...does anyone know of somewhere they may cheaper, I have already spent close to 600quid on parts for front axle and braking in the last month and don't really have funds for anything at the moment so the cheaper the better.

Comment

http://www.milneroffroad.com/toyota-...-joint-inner-0

That's a link to the only place that I can see so far doing them, if anyone knows where I can get these cheaper I'd love to know.

Comment

Here are some pics of the inner cv joint and some wear, there is a mall bit of play in the drivers side and a tiny tiny amount in the passenger side, tbh it is hard to neven get the thing to show any play now that it is off but it is there...my understanding is that there should be no play at all is this right? If there is any play i take it i need to replace?

I also have a little play in the diff too, i'll see if i can post a vid of that next

Comment

diff play, is this normal or within tolerance? on the drivers side there is a little up and down play too that i couldnt capture while holding the camera

Comment

I've been away for a month and wasn't using the 4runner as I was still having issues when I left.

I have replaced both outer cv joints, both inner cv or plunge joints and all boots. The original cv joint noise issue is gone but I am left with the light clunking noise even after replacing the inner plunge joints so these may have been ok.

The noise sound a little like metal rattling about in a metal drum if you know what I mean, I can feel the clunking too...in 2wd at lower speeds even crawling you can hear it just slower frequency and is most noticeable frequency wise between 30-40 mph, after 40 it seems to be ok. There doesn't seem to be any change in frequency or how loud it is when turning...speed seems to be the only thing that changes the noise. When I drove it with the front axle shafts out I couldn't here the noise anymore although this was only for a short journey.

This job needs done now as I am going to be using it regularly now for the next few months, mot ran out a week ago too so can't drive to any garages to help with diagnosis although if I am being honest I have no confidence in local garages anyway after I have had to fix stuff on the back of their repairs.

Does anyone have any ideas as to where to start looking now? Does this sound like the diff has failed somehow?

What tests can I perform to start ruling out things?

Sorry for all the newbie questions but this is my first jeep and first experience of front diff related issues.

Any suggestions on what this issue could be or any tests I could perform to rule things out would be very much appreciated...I really need to fix this myself as I don't really have any money at the moment and would prefer to have 4wd this winter ready for any snow that may come.
            Last edited by sleepy; 20 November 2015, 18:12.

Comment

Just looking back through some old posts as now selling this jeep.

Clunking problem has been solved and turned out when i took it for MOT that year that the front ARB bolts were not tight on one side resulting in the clunk i could here when going over bumps or when rocking jeep. I replaced the inner plunge joints on the CV shafts thinking that may have been the issue, were not cheap and pain to fix when all i actually needed to do was tighten a bolt on the ARB bush haha....oh well, we live and learn and at least the new parts i put on will last a long time!

Hope that info helps someone out there ;-)

Comment

Working...
              X