Wheel bearings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheel bearings

Just a quick question to those in the know.

I've just had an off side front wheel bearing changed by my local garage but for some reason I'm not convinced they've done it.

Is there a quick (ish) way of checking the wheel bearing has been changed?

The reason I'm not convinced is that I'm still getting a noise from the front drive somewhere. It may be wheel bearings, it may not, but I don't 100% trust the garage.

The noise is there in 2 wheel drive, 4 wheel drive, hubs locked and unlocked.

Could it be tyre noise? I have cooper MUDs fitted. Could it be tyre noise?

Any help or pointers would be much appreciated.

A description of the noise would be helpful

If its a rattle type noise could be the bronze bushes

Comment

It's not a rattle more of a whining type noise. Not engine related as it's constant and doesn't change with the gear changes. Starts at about 10mph and gets louder the faster I go.

Does that help?

Comment

I'd go with tyre noise from the mt's you have fitted, especially if not distinct to one corner or the other

Comment

Does it change with different road surfaces? does it do it when the roads are wet?
          Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
          My choice
          Back off

Comment

Originally posted by Koi View Post
            Does it change with different road surfaces? does it do it when the roads are wet?
            No, it doesn't seem to.

All very confusing. The tone doesn't change if I turn the steering left or right, a normal test for wheel bearings so I'm guessing it's not that.

If I knew someone with a spare set of wheels with normal tyres I'd swap them just to compare the noise. As it is I'm contemplating asking Tony if he'd take it for a drive and give me his opinion.

I think that might be my best option.

Any other opinions would be gratefully received.

Comment

Originally posted by Bonk View Post
              No, it doesn't seem to.

All very confusing. The tone doesn't change if I turn the steering left or right, a normal test for wheel bearings so I'm guessing it's not that.

If I knew someone with a spare set of wheels with normal tyres I'd swap them just to compare the noise. As it is I'm contemplating asking Tony if he'd take it for a drive and give me his opinion.

I think that might be my best option.

Any other opinions would be gratefully received.
              I have a spare set of 31's (AT's) on in the garage if you need to try them fella...not to far I don't think from you if you want to pop round.

Comment

That'd be great Andy.

I'm away this weekend but next weekend I'm free unless that's a bit too close to Christmas, what with all that shopping that needs doing!

If you'd rather leave it til after the new year I don't mind.

Again, thanks for the offer, much appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by Bonk View Post
                  That'd be great Andy.

I'm away this weekend but next weekend I'm free unless that's a bit too close to Christmas, what with all that shopping that needs doing!

If you'd rather leave it til after the new year I don't mind.

Again, thanks for the offer, much appreciated.
                  Got my nephews birthday the following weekend, not sure what I'm doing (just like every other day then :-) ). After Santa's been might be easier but we can wing it if it suits you...PM me and I'll fling you my number just in case things magically fall into place.

Comment

Working...
                  X