Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dry squeak sound from underside

Hi All,

Never owned a real 4x4 until I got my surf so know nothing about 4WD.
    Over the last few day I have noticed a loud squeaking sound from the underside of the surf. It sounds like a dry metal sound so am quiet worried about it.
    It only happens every now and then, and usually when it gets up to 30mph. Everything else about the surf seems fine, anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

Paul

PAUL that noise is your steering bump stops. You need to put grease on them.
    here is a picture
    Attached Files
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
    (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by marky
      PAUL that noise is your steering bump stops. You need to put grease on them.
      here is a picture
      or it might be dry suspension bushes. Spray the outside of the bushes with some rubber lubricant and it may help. The steering stops would have a noise more like a bang than a squeak.

Cheers

Comment

Steering stops? Full lock at 30mph in a Surf would be interesting!

Comment

Originally posted by hardimap
          Hi All,

Never owned a real 4x4 until I got my surf so know nothing about 4WD.
          Over the last few day I have noticed a loud squeaking sound from the underside of the surf. It sounds like a dry metal sound so am quiet worried about it.
          It only happens every now and then, and usually when it gets up to 30mph. Everything else about the surf seems fine, anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

Paul
          Dont think it would be the steering stops if its happening at 30mph, they happen when on full lock. There are many things it could be so the best thing to do is to jack up the front and trun the road wheels by hand and listen carfully for the sound, then do the same with the rear. It could be something simple like the brake ware warning tab which rubs a metal tap on the disk when the pads get worn or it could be a disk guard plate catching on the disk, a dry prop. Have a good investigation when jacked up and see what you can find.
          BEWARE OF THE REAPER

Comment

Thanks for all the replies,

Will jack the car up tonight and see if I can pin it down a bit.
            What does the brake ware tab look like?

Thanks

Paul

Comment

Thanks for all the replies,

Will jack the car up tonight and see if I can pin it down a bit.
              What does the brake ware tab look like?

Thanks

Paul
              The brake ware tab is a flat thin bit of metal, approx 5mm wide, attached to the front brake pads. usually you have about 2-3mm left on the pads when you get the noise. Not all pads have them fitted and sometimes people cut them off.
              Good luck with your noise hunt. Let me know how you get on.
              BEWARE OF THE REAPER

Comment

Here's a pic I had handy. It's of the back of a set of pads from one side of my surf. 1 pad has 2 tabs and the other has 1. They basically rub on the disc when the pad is nearly worn out to tell you they need changing. Not the nicest of noises!
                Attached Files

Comment

'dry squeak'

could be a thirsty mouse?!

sorry!

Chris

Comment

Had a look at the pads and they are low but not quite low enough to be making the noise.
                    I will however replace them, however not sure where to buy them from or what to ask for (most of the people have not heard of a Surf)

The noise is louder when the surf is cold, after I have been driving a while the noise is more intermittent

Also it sounds a bit like it’s further back from the front wheel.
                    It’s not moving around enough to be a mouse, I have however placed a saucer of water on top of the wheel just in case..

Thanks for all the help so far

Comment

Had a look at the pads and they are low but not quite low enough to be making the noise.
                      I will however replace them, however not sure where to buy them from or what to ask for (most of the people have not heard of a Surf)

The noise is louder when the surf is cold, after I have been driving a while the noise is more intermittent

It’s not moving around enough to be a mouse, I have however placed a saucer of water on top of the wheel just in case..

If it sounds like it is behind the front wheel then I would suggest suspension bushes or the torsion bars squeaking.

Cheers

Comment

i've endured weeks of embarassing squeaking from the underside - turned out to be the brake pads which i've now had changed, cost £20 for new pads & £20 for the fit - sorted......got mine from the local motor factors store who can supply most servicable bits for the surf.
                        [SIZE=5]ANDY[/SIZE]

[U]HOLMESDALE EAGLES[/U]

Comment

Originally posted by thechaddyboy
                          i've endured weeks of embarassing squeaking from the underside - turned out to be the brake pads which i've now had changed, cost £20 for new pads & £20 for the fit - sorted......got mine from the local motor factors store who can supply most servicable bits for the surf.
                          Glad to here you sorted it. I had the same squeeks when my pads got low, gets embarassing as you say till i found out what it was.
                          BEWARE OF THE REAPER

Comment

Got someone else to check out the front of the surf, and it does look to be the brakes.
                            Going to replace them this weekend so will let you know if the noise has gone.

Comment

The squeak in question sounds just like the one i had a couple of weeks ago. was terrible when cold then eased off when hot. my surf is still under warranty so the dealer had it looked at by a mechanic. took him 5 hours of greasing, adjusting & tightening but eventually tied it down to the exhaust lightly rubbing on the body somewhere (dont know where didn't go under myself) Thankfully now going squeak free for a week. Good luck with yours.
                              [SIZE=5]martin [/SIZE]
                              [B][FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][COLOR=lime]Where Pilgrims climb may grecians fall[/COLOR][/FONT][/B]

Comment

Working...
                              X