Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• filler cap/fuel tank question

Hi
    went to fill the brute up with diesel this morning,on opening the filler cap was greeted with a loud hiss,obviously a build up of gas escaping.Is this normal,if not how do I stop it from happening(don't want my fuel tank exploding!)

Cheers,Rob
    Powered by ????

Nothing to worry about , Just the fuel tank turns into a bit of a vacuum when the fuel is being sucked out of it by the fuel pump, so when you release the filler cap , it sucks in some air ( I think , but prepared to be shot down in flames )

My Old Honda CRX used to do this a hell of a lot , in fact I think it had an escape valve that used to croak / squeek through the night , took me ages to work out it was my car !
    http://www.darksidesolutions.co.uk - Web Solutions

Comment

Originally posted by SparX
      Nothing to worry about , Just the fuel tank turns into a bit of a vacuum when the fuel is being sucked out of it by the fuel pump, so when you release the filler cap , it sucks in some air ( I think , but prepared to be shot down in flames )

My Old Honda CRX used to do this a hell of a lot , in fact I think it had an escape valve that used to croak / squeek through the night , took me ages to work out it was my car !
      Yep get the same, you will (well i do) notice it more the lower you get on diesel, say fill it right up and run it down to the white line more vacuum is created.
      Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
      My choice
      Back off

Comment

Originally posted by Koi
        Yep get the same, you will (well i do) notice it more the lower you get on diesel, say fill it right up and run it down to the white line more vacuum is created.
        Phew,no imminent explosions then,cheers.
        Powered by ????

Comment

There should be a vent on the tank somewhere (possibly on the cap) which should stop this happening. Only problem that it can cause is that if the blockage is bad you can get fuel starvation problems when there is still fuel in the tank because the pump can't draw against the vacuum.

Cheers

Comment

i always thought it was because the tank on an injected motor was pressurised?!

my old rover used to make that noise too! (honda engine) it sounded like a cow mooing!
            nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

A fuel injected motor will do this, never noticed it on a diesel before.

Check for a breather in the cap, but if its running OK, its probebly alright. Had a carbed car that the breather was blocked up, would run for 1/2 hour or so, then die. Took ages to work out what was going on!
              4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Mine gives a small hiss when I stop to fill up after a run - if it does it all the time probably worth checking the breather. My dad had a Granada that had the wrong fuel cap fitted (no breather) and it collapsed the fuel tank!
                Roger

My Pointer ate the dog trainer

Comment

Originally posted by dabigman
                  i always thought it was because the tank on an injected motor was pressurised?!

my old rover used to make that noise too! (honda engine) it sounded like a cow mooing!

Thats the sound down to a tee....

Kept me awake for hours at night trying to figure it out. !

Must be synonymous with Honda's !
                  http://www.darksidesolutions.co.uk - Web Solutions

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
                    A fuel injected motor will do this, never noticed it on a diesel before.

Check for a breather in the cap, but if its running OK, its probebly alright. Had a carbed car that the breather was blocked up, would run for 1/2 hour or so, then die. Took ages to work out what was going on!
                    Just filled mine up from empty and there was no hiss when I took off the cap - and yes there is a breather in the cap - so if yours hisses when you take off the cap then the breather is blocked - get a new cap.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by lucky
                      Just filled mine up from empty and there was no hiss when I took off the cap - and yes there is a breather in the cap - so if yours hisses when you take off the cap then the breather is blocked - get a new cap.

Cheers
                      WANTED:new filler cap for a 3rd gen(96)