Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1997 rear door won't open

Hi
    As the title says, the tailgate won't open.

How do I get into the mechanism. It looks like there is a panel on the outside which can be removed. Does this just pull off? Or do I access it from the inside?

Many thanks

Access to the workings is through the removable panel on the inside I believe

Comment

It's a Gen3. Will post some pics later

As the back door won't open I can't see anywhere I can release the panel from.

Any ideas?

There is definitely a panel on the outside which I can pull open a little at the top left corner. Does this just pull off from the outside ? Or is it only possible to release that from the inside?
      Last edited by Lanark; 29 March 2014, 06:58.

Comment

A bit more info to see if these helps anyone give me some pointers.

With the central locking locked with the remote, the door handle moves freely back and forward. No resistance.

With the doors unlocked, there is resistance and you can hear/feel the handle moving the mechanism. It just won't release the catch.
        Attached Files

Comment

And another photo
          Attached Files

Comment

Did the problem start after raising the rear window via the key in the tailgate?

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
              Did the problem start after raising the rear window via the key in the tailgate?
              Hi
              No, I have never used the key to open the back door or lower the window. I have a switch on the dash for the window. I have never seen a key hole on the back door. Is there always one there?

Comment

I lowered the window and levered up the inner panel from the top edge of the doors inner skin. It just pops off from there.

It seems that the mechanism actuates fine with the exception of the final larch.

Comment

Update

Hi
                  I don't seem to be making much progress with fixing the fault.

The latch which hooks on to the chassis, doesn't seem to want to release when i operate the handle, though the cable does move when the door handle is actuated.

Does this mean the fault is likely with the locking mechanism on the door?

Should there be a spring in there which brings the catch back after the door handle has been used?

How do I disconnect the actuating cable from the door latch mechanism? Or is it better to buy a latch with a cable attached already and connect it up at the other end?

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                  X