Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monde0 1.8 Zetec

Hi

Appreciate this is non surf related, but thought I'd ask....

I've been trouble shooting an intermittent power loss, which seems to occur at around 60/70+ in 5th Gear, with symptoms similar to those of running out of fuel. Chug along under engine breaking - unable to rev beyond 2000, but can usually idle at that.

However, if you cut the ignition and re-start, all is well for a while until it occurs again.

I have tried several things. I had a long running EML due to the EGR, which I think was just a faulty sensor. Anyway, I have taken out the EGR and cleaned and replaced. This has fixed the light (at least hasn't come back yet), but not solved the problem. I replaced the fuel filter and air filter - no joy with that. And I have checked pipes for splits. There is no separate MAF on this model. And I have also replaced the ignition coil and leads. I did discover an oil leak when doing this, but I'm pretty sure it is not the cause of the power problem (just something else that needs fixing)

I had alternator done recently and a couple of years ago I had the fuel pump replaced. Battery and alternator voltage check seems fine.

I have noticed, on further running, that the issue seems to go away for a while when you fill the tank up with more fuel. When you get down to about 60 miles left in the tank, the problem is much more constant if you go above 50mph. Also, it is nigh on impossible to start the car when the fuel gauge is still reading 50 miles range. But if you do manage to start it, it will run fine without running out of fuel until normal 0 miles levels. Something similar to this happened before my fuel pump went before.

My best guess is that this is due to a fuel tank pressure issue. I'm thinking the tank has an air leak somewhere - perhaps an o-ring on the fuel pump or similar - and when the tank is full it has less of a problem pulling the fuel through, but when it is low, the pressure isn't in the system to push the fule through to the engine. I'm going to take it down to a local garage to have it looked at, as I don't really have the space to drop the tank etc. here. Does anybody have any other ideas of what could be causing the problem though?
    Take your words, put them on a plate, add a little bit of humble pie, and eat them!

Had similar problem with my zetec fiesta.
    Had lots of bad advice from various ford forums. Wont bore you with details.

Rear silencer had perished internally. restricting exhaust gases.

Rectification, renew center & rear boxes.

Comment

My guess is that it's something to do with the fuel level sender or the fuel management system i.e. the ECU is getting conflicting signals from it and going into limp mode.

Comment

Cheers. I hadn't thought about the exhaust system will add it to the list. I suppose the cat may be a potential cause as well if I had an egr issue, I may have ended up with more crap coming through the system and clogging it up.

As for the fuel sensor. Hopefully I can rule this in or out on monday. Cheers for the suggestions..
        Take your words, put them on a plate, add a little bit of humble pie, and eat them!

Comment

Have you tried taking the filler cap off when it goes into limp mode? I recalled Vauxhall omegas used to suffer from issues with the evaporation carbon canister and caused a vacuum in the tank, does the Mondeo have a system like that?

Comment

I had a similar problem on my avensis verso. It kept going into "limp home" mode just after cresting a hill. Error code pointed towards the EGR, so I took it off an cleaned it. The codes cleared, but the car kept throwing a wobbler!

Eventually I bit the bullet and bought a new EGR, so far so good

Comment

Defiantly exhaust happened to my daughters 1.8 Focus
              SWIFT AND BOLD

Comment

Cat failure on Mondeos causes some of the symptoms you describe!!
                Engine starts and runs fine but will not rev up and engine will barely pull the car along Had a 1.6 and a 2.0 Mondeo that both had cats fail!!

Regards

Mark

Comment

Working...
                X