Whats that noise?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats that noise?

noticed a fan blower type noise coming from under the bonnet - whilst waiting for plugs to heat (and the warning 'beep') - seems to carry on for a short while after starting - doesnt happen every time - and yes my heater blower and aircon is switched off when this happens.

whadisit?

cheers in advance chaps and chapesses!

take care

Chris
    Last edited by Smokin; 17 September 2004, 09:26.

Originally posted by Smokin
    noticed a fan blower type noise coming from under the bonnet - whilst waiting for plugs to heat (and the warning 'beep') - seems to carry on for a short while after starting - doesnt happen every time - and yes my heater blower and aircon is switched off when this happens.

whadisit?

cheers in advance chaps and chapesses!

take care

Chris
    Chris.

Is this when the engine is warm, if so it could be the electric fan in front of the aircon rad which works for both aircon and also to assist the viscous fan when the engine is getting too warm. This will work even when the aircon is off as it is also tripped by a thermal switch on the heat of the coolant. If the engine is cold it could still be running if the thermal switch is knackered and switched on all the time.

Cheers

Comment

cheers andy - seems to be mainly when cold but i think it has done it when hot - may happen 3 times a week or so. sounds like the noise is near the bulkhead on the drivers side as it is rather loud!

will investigate further! - bonnet up before key in!

ta

take care

Chris
      Last edited by Smokin; 17 September 2004, 09:26.

Comment

it made the fan noise when starting (from cold) made a point of being outside the truck when i did it - there were 2 noises :1 - a fan, its the one in front of the radiator visible trough the front grille. 2 - there was also a repeated fast clicking up near the bulkhead drivers side - like a relay making and breaking very fast.

Is this fan the aircon fan?
        Why does the fan come on - not used the aircon since monday

any help would be nice - ta!

Take Care

Chris

Comment

IIRC the aircon fan is underneath the sump. The fan coming on on the radiator with the ignition on is a fault. Mine is constantly running aswell.
          I have decided that it is better to be on all the time than not coming on at all!!

Mine also does the clicking thing. i think that it is the glowplug relay, but I could be wrong.
          Charlie Don't Surf..http://static.photobox.co.uk/public/...10805138.s.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Alun
            IIRC the aircon fan is underneath the sump. The fan coming on on the radiator with the ignition on is a fault. Mine is constantly running aswell.
            I have decided that it is better to be on all the time than not coming on at all!!

Mine also does the clicking thing. i think that it is the glowplug relay, but I could be wrong.
            Alun.

On that age of vehicle the Aircon rad and aircon fan is in front of the main radiator, it's only on the later auto ones that the aircon rad is under the sump with two aircon fans.

I would suggest that the coolant temp switch for the front fan is faulty and has it switch on all the time. Although combined with the clicking noise I would also suspect the AC relay which could be switching it on. I am not sure where the AC relay is, it will either be passenger side top of bulkhead under the dashboard, or middle height on the drivers side.

Cheers

Comment

will investigate further - it doesnt stay on - jusr runs for 15 seconds or so

do you think its anything to worry about (yet)?

take care

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by Smokin
                will investigate further - it doesnt stay on - jusr runs for 15 seconds or so

do you think its anything to worry about (yet)?

take care

Chris
                Chris.

No I don't think it is anything to worry about at the moment. If everything works OK, it is better to have a fan running than not running.

Cheers

Comment

Working...
                X