• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Twanging & clunk from the front suspension

Evening all,

Before I start, yes, I have searched

Nothing seems to fig the bill though.

When driving my surf (3.0 Gen 2, 1993), I have been getting a clunking noise from the front suspension. This only happens when turning, not on full lock (and have greased the bump stops too).

At first, it was like a twanging noise at the front left, but then moved to the right - it's now more of a clunk! I swear I've even heard it in the middle!!!!

I've been underneath & so has my mechanic & neither of us can see anything obvious or feel any play anywhere.

I'm calling on your collective experience to see if anyone knows what's going on?

Thanks

James

Is the 4wd button pressed in?

Comment

No. Just in standard drive.

Why?

Comment

Originally posted by Trunks View Post
        No. Just in standard drive.

Why?
        If the button was pressed in the truck would have been in 4H which is a no-no on hard surfaces. OK if driving in a straight line but will cause transfercase binding when turning.

Anyhoo getting back to the twanging and clunking, is the noise there when stationary or only when driving/turning?

Comment

Just when turning, when the weight shifts as you start to turn into a corner.

Doesn't do it in a straight line over speed bumps though.

Comment

new set of these?

http://www.roughtrax4x4.com/?doc=16&cid=161&vid=1550
            the wolf is always bigger when you are scared!!

Comment

Originally posted by budweiser View Post

Probably just these for now....
              http://www.roughtrax4x4.com/?doc=16&cid=998&vid=1555
              And possibly one or both of these...
              http://www.roughtrax4x4.com/?doc=16&cid=999&vid=1168
              http://www.roughtrax4x4.com/?doc=16&cid=999&vid=1169
              Last edited by BUSHWHACKER; 4 December 2013, 00:04.

Comment

Thanks for the advice chaps, I'll give the "D" bushes a shot first a bit cheaper!!!

I take it the wishbone kit is for both sides? Better start saving...

Comment

I've just looked under the truck & the D links look like they have seen better days, also,the bushes on the anti roll bar link rod look a bit perished, presumably they'd contribute too?

Worth changing at the same time?

Comment

Yea might as well whilst you are there (about to order the same bits myself).

Cheers

Rob
                    The sh$t gets deeper ...but still swimming

Comment

Originally posted by Trunks View Post
                      Evening all,

Before I start, yes, I have searched

Nothing seems to fig the bill though.

When driving my surf (3.0 Gen 2, 1993), I have been getting a clunking noise from the front suspension. This only happens when turning, not on full lock (and have greased the bump stops too).

At first, it was like a twanging noise at the front left, but then moved to the right - it's now more of a clunk! I swear I've even heard it in the middle!!!!

I've been underneath & so has my mechanic & neither of us can see anything obvious or feel any play anywhere.

I'm calling on your collective experience to see if anyone knows what's going on?

Thanks

James
                      I've got exactly the same condition on mine. mechanic ciuldn't find any loose ball joints... so i think you may be onto something with the arb... make sure you let us know how you get on... cheers
                      "B.A." Baracus: "Talk to me, talk sense so I can talk back. Not all this jibberjabber like breaking the peace and all that."
                      www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

I had a very similar noise to yours and it was a worn link rod rubber - I bought complete new link rods for both sides (pretty cheap on eBay) and it was cured.

Comment

Originally posted by yorta2 View Post
                          I had a very similar noise to yours and it was a worn link rod rubber - I bought complete new link rods for both sides (pretty cheap on eBay) and it was cured.
                          Gonna check my ARB and drop links properly at the weekend. Cheers...
                          "B.A." Baracus: "Talk to me, talk sense so I can talk back. Not all this jibberjabber like breaking the peace and all that."
                          www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

ha ha, this is infectious!!!
                            everyone checking their ARB's
                            the wolf is always bigger when you are scared!!

Comment

ARB "D" bushes, link arm bushes and link arms now replaced and no noises whatsoever

The mechanic said the main culprit was a knackered offside link arm - good job I bought the new ones just incase

Comment

Working...
                              X