Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Painting Arch Extensions

Hi All,

Mine has black wheelarch extensions with rubber rubbing strips on their inside edges, presumably to prevent causing marks on the bodywork. I'd like to have them matched to the body colour and sealed with the bodywork so they look more part of the bodywork than afterthought add-on.

Would the following be the way to go?...

Remove all 4 arches, remove rubber strips, and have them professionally painted using the colour code from the VIN plate.

Refit to body without rubber strips, and seal the inside edges to the bodywork with the closest colour silicone sealant I can get to the body colour.

Thanks for any replies,

Mark
    :

Originally posted by silvtr1000
    Hi All,

Mine has black wheelarch extensions with rubber rubbing strips on their inside edges, presumably to prevent causing marks on the bodywork. I'd like to have them matched to the body colour and sealed with the bodywork so they look more part of the bodywork than afterthought add-on.

Would the following be the way to go?...

Remove all 4 arches, remove rubber strips, and have them professionally painted using the colour code from the VIN plate.

Refit to body without rubber strips, and seal the inside edges to the bodywork with the closest colour silicone sealant I can get to the body colour.

Thanks for any replies,

Mark
    By all means remove and have them painted, but I would advise against using silicone to seal them to the body, this is the enemy of vehicle repairers as traces of it always seem to get everywhere on the paintwork and will prevent subsequent paint from adhering unless scrupusly (spell?) removed.
    Refitting without any form of strip may allow the arch to flex against and abrade to existing paintwork.
    Why not have them painted and refit with original rubber strips and see how you like the look of that?
    Maurice
    Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

It is possible to buy after market sealer strip in a variety of colours so you may find some a near or perfect colour .When you paint the extensions you may find a slight off colour to the body . This normal as plastic takes the colour different then metal .

Rick
      Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

Working...
      X