Cold bottom hose

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cold bottom hose

Hi all after changing my rad and water pump and of course the system flush bleeding through the top heater hose and so on, the bottom hose and the bottom of the rad will not warm up at all but the top is hot.
    What is it with the cooling system on these cars?
    The temp gauge sits below normal always does and still does, the heater blows hot, I know the Tstat opens at 82 but how can it when it has cold water one side and hot the other.
    Quite confusing
    Now I don't trust the old girl at all
    Anyone else had this issue? Or is this normal?
    I'm looking at driving this truck down through Spain soon, wasn't considering taking a spare cylinder head with me but I may as well.
    It's a gen 3 by the way not a 2.4
    Last edited by flyingspanner; 22 April 2013, 09:04.

are you waiting long enough for the thermostat to open?
    the wolf is always bigger when you are scared!!

Comment

If the bottom hose was hot then your rad wouldn't be working ?

Comment

The 3rd gen radiators are much more efficient, they're are aluminium, bigger and have plastic tanks that allow for slight expansion instead of splitting like the brass tanks do on the 2nd gens.

If the bottom of the radiator is cooler than the top, and your heaters are blowing hot air, then the cooling system is working as it should.

I would fit an auxillary water temp and oil pressure gauges before venturing on any expeditions though. The stock water temp gauge is very inaccurate.

Comment

Thanks for the replies.
          Had a good search around, and spoke to my Subaru mechanic last night, its an interesting one this.
          It would appear that this is how it is supposed to be, coolant should circulate around the head upper block and heater unrestricted by a thermostat, the tstat only opening on the rare extreme occasions.
          Took it for a 20 mile round trip yesterday, temp gauge looked as good as ever but the bottom hose totally stone cold. It's off putting but I'm assuming that's how it's supposed to be.
          Has any one fitted a Toyota 76 degree tstat for over landing?
          Also extreme I know, have any of you guys fitted a d4d 3.0 into a gen 3 before? I'm really tempted but would I need the gearbox and wiring harness ecu's and so on? Is it worth it?
          I dream of a 1hd in my surf to be honest but I know it could never happen.
          One last thought.... Anyone removed the tstat all together?

Comment

Originally posted by flyingspanner View Post
            Thanks for the replies.
            Had a good search around, and spoke to my Subaru mechanic last night, its an interesting one this.
            It would appear that this is how it is supposed to be, coolant should circulate around the head upper block and heater unrestricted by a thermostat, the tstat only opening on the rare extreme occasions.
            Took it for a 20 mile round trip yesterday, temp gauge looked as good as ever but the bottom hose totally stone cold. It's off putting but I'm assuming that's how it's supposed to be.
            Has any one fitted a Toyota 76 degree tstat for over landing?
            Also extreme I know, have any of you guys fitted a d4d 3.0 into a gen 3 before? I'm really tempted but would I need the gearbox and wiring harness ecu's and so on? Is it worth it?
            I dream of a 1hd in my surf to be honest but I know it could never happen.
            One last thought.... Anyone removed the tstat all together?
            Hi,
            not sure about the conversions you mention, 1HD..maybe someone on here tried before, worth investigating. As for removing the thermostat, most vehicles that are imported into Africa from Japan have their thermostat removed by the importers. There are however two schools of thought, and I am with those who say not to remove it.
            My old 2.4 surf had it refitted by me and I never had any problems. Also Toyota vehicles that are Africa spec, assembled in South Africa, such as the 1KZ-TE pick ups, they all have their thermostat as normal...My 3rd Gen had its thermostat when I got it but it was stuck open, so engine would cool on down hills, almost to the point that the gauge was on Cold ( I know they are not very sensitive, but still...), and I can't think that's a good thing...
            cheers

Comment

Working...
            X