Front disc removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front disc removal

Hi there, is there a How-To on here for removing the front discs? I'm sure I saw a thread with pics years ago but I can't find it now. Basically I need to replace mine as I'm getting terrible run out bumping under braking, I have all the parts and I've got to the bit where I need to get into the front hubs but I'm stuck!
    Haynes is not good on this!

Cheers

Update

I have the hub cover off, thanks to reading a tip here about driving in some M8 bolts to press it off....now what?!!!

Comment

Just read up to where the disc is removed

http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/techsit...ringsfront.htm

Comment

HI there, yes I'd read that, many thanks, but mine does seem a little different. I didn't need to take a circlip off, for instance.

I've got the hub off now, and I've removed the 6 bolts from the back of the disc which bolt into the hub, but now they won't separate!

Is there something else I should be doing?

Comment

Nope! It just needed more brute force! I resorted to turning the lot upside down and rethreading the bolts, then using a large punch and a very large hammer on them. Eventually got them separated.

Does anyone know what the torque setting is for the 6 bolts that hold the discs to the hub?

Comment

Three grunts.

Comment

Three grunts
              That'll do for me!

Comment

Originally posted by Tonka View Post
                Nope! It just needed more brute force! I resorted to turning the lot upside down and rethreading the bolts, then using a large punch and a very large hammer on them. Eventually got them separated.

Does anyone know what the torque setting is for the 6 bolts that hold the discs to the hub?
                Hi Tonka,
                I'm facing the same problem, am I reading this right...you put the 6 bolts back in and beat the life out of them?

Comment

Hi there, yes from what I remember, you can then bash the bolts with a mallet. Mine suddenly split apart.

Cheers

Comment

Darn I tried that this afternoon...no joy.

Just seen a post from TonyN resting the hub on a block of wood and beating the disc off, so I'll try that tomorrow.

Thanks for the reply.

Comment

Yeah, thinking about it that's what I did, 2 blocks of wood, bang the hell out of it!!

Best of luck, let us know how it works out.

Comment

Don't hit the nuts

If you see my earlier post, the guy who put the pictures up said loosen the bolts and hit the SIDE of the hub until the bolts loosen.

Comment

Originally posted by will.b View Post
                          If you see my earlier post, the guy who put the pictures up said loosen the bolts and hit the SIDE of the hub until the bolts loosen.
                          I think we're talking about different bolts...I'm talking about the 6 that hold the disc to the front part of the hub, hidden behind the disc...rather than the 6 holding the cover to the outside..

Comment

My bad

Sorry if my info was incorrect. I should have re-read the entire thread, instead of assuming it was the hub bolts.

Comment

Working...
                            X