Thermostat location on 3Y-E engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thermostat location on 3Y-E engine

Got my first surf a bit over a week ago and am doing a coolant flush before taking it away on holiday.

I am totally new to any sort of servicing on cars so have been following online guides but am having trouble locating the thermostat to replace it.

It's not where the top radiator hose meets the engine as it is in the guides I've looked at so far. Is it where the bottom hose comes out of the engine?

Any help appreciated.

Found it!

It turns out it's at the bottom on the intlet hose. Bit of a ####### to get to but managed to get the nuts off but couldn't get the water inlet itself off. Obviously not been off in a long time and it wouldn't budge.

Don't want to start bashing it with a hammer (not that I could get one to it anyway). Anyone got any ideas how to loosen it without risking damage to it?

Cheers.
    Last edited by finsarg; 2 January 2013, 23:29.

Comment

It's in under the pipe that feeds coolant back to engine above the alternator.

Nev

Comment

Yeah cheers Nev.

Any ideas how to get the inlet off? I couldn't get it to budge.

Comment

Two nuts on studs as far as I know.

Nev

Comment

Yeah I got those off ok but the inlet wouldn't move. Didn't want to damage it by hitting it with a hammer, though I did give it a couple taps with the rubber handle of the hammer. Gave up in the end.

Would hot water and a degreaser help? Or perhaps warming it with a heat gun?

Comment

Try using an old knife with a sharpish edge. Place between where you think the outlet flange meets the block and tap with a hammer to break the seal. It may just be stuck to the block.

Nev

Comment

too slow gaining speed while accelerating

Good day Mr. finsarg,
                I want to know if you encountered the problem of gaining speed from 1st gear up to 5th gear. It takes time before i reach the speed of 100k/hr. Is this similar with your SSR Limited 2.0Ltr petrol 3Y-E engine? Your reply is highly appreciated.
                Thank you very much

Comment

Originally posted by tripoltango View Post
                  Good day Mr. finsarg,
                  I want to know if you encountered the problem of gaining speed from 1st gear up to 5th gear. It takes time before i reach the speed of 100k/hr. Is this similar with your SSR Limited 2.0Ltr petrol 3Y-E engine? Your reply is highly appreciated.
                  Thank you very much

Well it's not the fastest through the traps but then it is a truck and, to be fair, a bit under powered for it's size and weight at only 2ltrs.

I haven't found it any slower than expected but it's the first truck I've owned. I certainly won't be entering it in any drag races though.

I'd be interested to know what sort of gas milage you get in yours? I'm getting about 350-400km/tank depending on how much round-town driving I'm doing. Not the best milage but it is a pretty old vehicle now.

Comment

now i know that my judgement is right. The engine is a bit under powered considering the size and weight of the truck. Just wondering, because got a mitsubishi car and it took me 10 seconds to reach 100 K/hr from 1st to 5th gear.
                    With regards to gas milage, well i'm getting 7-8 kms per liter or 27 to 28 km per gallon, depending on the traffic conditions. It is really not a good milage but as you said it is a truck.
                    Thanks very much for the reply.

Comment

by the way sir finsarg, i forgot to mention that gas tank capacity is 65 liters..one more thing,can i ask you a favor sir, can you send me a photo of the sun roof while it was in close and open position. I am not satisfied how my sun roof retract in close position. you can send it thru my e-mail add: monch13balladares@yahoo.com
                      Thank you very much and it is an honor to know you.
                      Last edited by tripoltango; 11 February 2013, 15:42.

Comment

Originally posted by finsarg View Post
                        Well it's not the fastest through the traps but then it is a truck and, to be fair, a bit under powered for it's size and weight at only 2ltrs.

I haven't found it any slower than expected but it's the first truck I've owned. I certainly won't be entering it in any drag races though.

I'd be interested to know what sort of gas milage you get in yours? I'm getting about 350-400km/tank depending on how much round-town driving I'm doing. Not the best milage but it is a pretty old vehicle now.
                        With regards to your concern what sort of gas mileage i'm getting with my truck.. its consume 7-8 km/liter or 27-28 km/gallons. can i ask you a favor sir? can send me a photo of your sunroof because i want to know how it fits when in close and position for comparison reason. Can you send it to my e-mail add: monch13balladares@yahoo.com.
                        Thank you again.

Comment

I would but mine doesn't have a sunroof.

Comment

Originally posted by finsarg View Post
                            I would but mine doesn't have a sunroof.
                            oh...thought that yours have it too. is it a 5 door truck?
                            thanks again.
                            Last edited by tripoltango; 17 February 2013, 01:00.

Comment

Working...
                            X