2.4td engine into a hilux?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2.4td engine into a hilux?

as the title says weve got an old hilux work horse its got the 2.4d how hard would it be to drop in a 2.4td out of a surf in to give it a bit more poke.

other option is the 3.0td but Im thinking on being sensible and staying with a 2.4 at the moment for all its used for..

cheers
    James

Why would you not consider the 3.0 TD?
    More torque, infacto LOADS of torque, more useable power, and economy is no different.. Plus less likely to blow a head due to overheating.
    Start bud.
    "B.A." Baracus: "Talk to me, talk sense so I can talk back. Not all this jibberjabber like breaking the peace and all that."
    www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfracer View Post
      Why would you not consider the 3.0 TD?
      More torque, infacto LOADS of torque, more useable power, and economy is no different.. Plus less likely to blow a head due to overheating.
      Start bud.
      main reason is I know where theres a 2.4td sitting local to me that I could get for much cheapness

Comment

Originally posted by jbh325i View Post
        main reason is I know where theres a 2.4td sitting local to me that I could get for much cheapness
        Can you see it running? Has the head been replaced yet?
        Not that all 2.4's blow their heads but, well, given time, they will....
        "B.A." Baracus: "Talk to me, talk sense so I can talk back. Not all this jibberjabber like breaking the peace and all that."
        www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

An EFI motor will be just as much hassle to fit as a 3.0, there is miles of wiring, lots of sensor and an ECU to fit.

Make sure you get a 89-90/91 motor with a mechanical fuel pump. Same applies if you go the 3.0 route, the non-EFI 4Runner 3.0 is the motor you want to find.

Or just use the manifolds and turbo off the Surf motor on your N/A 2.4.
          4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfracer View Post
            Can you see it running? Has the head been replaced yet?
            Not that all 2.4's blow their heads but, well, given time, they will....
            ive heard it running and as far as im aware the head was done a few years back

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN View Post

Or just use the manifolds and turbo off the Surf motor on your N/A 2.4.
              I was thinking this might be an option is this just a straight swap over? would the N/A head gasket cope with this?

Comment

Originally posted by jbh325i View Post
                I was thinking this might be an option is this just a straight swap over? would the N/A head gasket cope with this?
                They all use the same gasket, so I'd say so.

But if your old one is iffy but holding, it might tip it over the edge, but still less work than whole engine swap.
                4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN View Post
                  They all use the same gasket, so I'd say so.

But if your old one is iffy but holding, it might tip it over the edge, but still less work than whole engine swap.
                  I wouldn't say the old one is iffy to be honest the old bus goes great just its lacking a bit of go on the hills.

will the internals hold up ok?

Comment

Working...
                  X