Trailing arm drop mounts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trailing arm drop mounts

My surf has just failed the MOT on a very corroded trailing arm drop mount (mount on the chassis infont of the rear wheels) incase i got the technical name wrong. The garage have sourced one but it wont be here for a week once orderd and £110 +VAT. The other side is an advisory so probably worth doing both now, anyone know of any cheaper ones than £110?

I can get something fabricated quite easily so if anyone has a pic or drawing it would be super useful, unless this is a c**p idea?

Thanks

I would take them off and clean them up to see what theyre actually like, if ok spray black if not I would get some decent ones from a breaker
    well, that was a bad idea!

Comment

Originally posted by muddle View Post
      I would take them off and clean them up to see what theyre actually like, if ok spray black if not I would get some decent ones from a breaker
      Maybe i am calling it wrong, this is a folded steel bracket welded to the chassis that drop down just in front of the rear wheel, if i got it all wrong it maybe easier to take a pic as i don't know how else to describe it.

Comment

I know the one you mean, didn't know if it was welded or bolted. I would atleast clean it up ans asses what it is actually like.

Comment

Its definitely shot, there is not much left of it. the other side is worth cleaning up and treating. cheers

Comment

Bugger, you could fab one up, just aslong as its the right internal width, and welded in the correct place and most importantly, the steel has to be strong enough.

Comment

Bugger, you could fab one up, just aslong as its the right internal width, and welded in the correct place and most importantly, the steel has to be strong enough.
              i was thinking about that but probably wont make to much saving and for the hassle i might just be easier just to get the part and do one side, clean the other up and hope for the best. Be nice not to fork out so much on a bracket though, labour on welding will be the same either way. time to bite the bullet me thinks.

Comment

Shop about and see if you can source your own.

Oh I see the problem, you have a golf, must be where the rust came from!

Comment

Shop about and see if you can source your own.

Oh I see the problem, you have a golf, must be where the rust came from!
                  Yep you got it, the damn rust, it follows me round. And things never start because i have a ducati, parts are always extortionate due my yamaha...i wont mention everything i have as it doen't get any better. Well lets say i think it is the karmann ghia which curses everything!

Comment

Originally posted by Oplayneo View Post
                    My surf has just failed the MOT on a very corroded trailing arm drop mount (mount on the chassis infont of the rear wheels) incase i got the technical name wrong. The garage have sourced one but it wont be here for a week once orderd and £110 +VAT. The other side is an advisory so probably worth doing both now, anyone know of any cheaper ones than £110?

I can get something fabricated quite easily so if anyone has a pic or drawing it would be super useful, unless this is a c**p idea?

Thanks
                    Lower control arm bracket?
                    No mention on the bushes?

Sounds like the tester is being anal or trying to empty your pockets to me, if that bracket was as bad as he says, then most of the chassis on that side and possibly the fuel tank/guard would be suspect as well!
                    I bet they didn't inspect the brake lines above that bracket either, they would be rotten too if the bracket was as bad as they think it is.
                    Wire brush attachment in an angle grinder followed by a spray of satin black Hammerite and it'll be/look as good as new.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
                      Lower control arm bracket?
                      No mention on the bushes?

Sounds like the tester is being anal or trying to empty your pockets to me, if that bracket was as bad as he says, then most of the chassis on that side and possibly the fuel tank/guard would be suspect as well!
                      I bet they didn't inspect the brake lines above that bracket either, they would be rotten too if the bracket was as bad as they think it is.
                      Wire brush attachment in an angle grinder followed by a spray of satin black Hammerite and it'll be/look as good as new.
                      I will have another look tomorrow and try and get a pic but they did show me the area in question, i saw it and i dont think this one is resolvable as it looks like it may have had a knock and corroded away at the front of the mount over a longish period - the bit that holds the strength when accelerating/breaking? they normally look at my cars/vans/trucks and highlight the failiures as in just needs sorting, better to be safe or god damn dangerous which is what they classed this one in. I only mention it must have been knocked as it does not match the other parts of the underside, apart from the the back box which is showing its age. Good call to check the break lines....Wire brush and satin hammerite here we come if things go my way. thanks

Comment

sorry wrong thread

Comment

If your really stuck Im about to scrap a solid rust free chassis so I can cut the sections out of this and send them to you for a tenner plus some post. I can probably just cut the chassis around above it, all it will need then is trimming back to tidy it to the hanger and then this can be welded to your chassis once the old one is cut and ground off.

Comment

Working...
                          X