Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• @TonyN rear differential

Tony,

Just stripped off the rear axle, removed the half shaft and taken the diff out. Had a look at the pinion, removed the pinion flange nut to replace the oil seal and attempted to knock the pinion through the bearings so I could clean out the diff enclosure better but it won't budge. Have decided to leave it in but a bit worried the rear bearing has shifted out very slightly. I didn't note the preload before I dismantled it, any advice on how I need to go about tightening the pinion flange bolt or have I buggered it up now and need a new set of bearings/crush washers etc?
    ======
    Just gotta finish doing the next mod...

Did you take the diff case out of the diff housing before trying to push the pinion through? It won't come out with it in the way, but you didn't mention it

If not then the nothing will have moved far anyway, so just do the pinion back up till the staked bit of the nut is back in the same place.

If you did then you've fawked anyway, as you have to set the case bearing side bearing preload to get the case in the right place before starting on the pinion preload.

Setting the diff up is about 5 pages of workshop manual, far to much to type out here. Can scan them if you really want, or there must PDF's of it online.
    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

I had taken out the diff out of the diff case so yes, I'm pretty fecked... I have the manuals from roughtrax (are these good enough or did you mean the Toyota workshop manual?) so I guess I have some new tools and bearings to buy and my workbench to clear.... As for the pinion, how do I get it out of the case? A rubber hammer didn't seem to to the trick...
      ======

Comment

Tony, what do you use to set the pre load ? I was looking at dial torque wrenches but having difficulty finding one with the low torque range required....
        ======

Comment

I've never set up a diff, so not looked for tools yet.

It's on my 'must look into, not got round to yet' list, as have a ARB locker sitting in a box in garage!

Comment

Sounds like I'm getting some funky tools then, or a full clean up and paint and drop all the bits to a1 premier transmissions in biggleswade....

I think I'd need... A dial torque gauge (0 to 30nm), a dial guage with a suitable stand to hold it, some gear paint to check the contact pattern, lots of patience and a tool to hold the pinion flange to stop everything rotating..

Anyone else know what's needed or where I can find a decent low inch pound/nm dial torque wrench?
            ======

Comment

all you need to know http://www.gearinstalls.com/index1.htm

Comment

Cool Thanks

Ordered a few bits today including a 12 tonne press.. only £120... bargain , dial gauge, beam torque wrench for a pedal bike (very low torque ideal for measuring the pre-load), some engineers blue, and some bearing pullers.... This could get interesting....

Have found a local comapny that does rebuilds if I get really stuck... but got to at least have a try I guess....!

I'll let you know how it goes Tony...
                ======

Comment

btw as your taking it all to bits go get a solid collar for it. much stronger and reusable compared to the standard crushable collar which is a one shot job

Comment

Where would you recommend purchasing one?
                    ======

Comment

tweak'e where might i find a solid collar?
                      ======

Comment

Can't seem to find them in the UK at the moment so search for "Solid Pinion Spacer".

Nev

Comment

Are we talking this sort of thing that I found earlier?

http://www.offroad-armory.com/store/...product_id=397

?
                          ======

Comment

Yup, that's them.

I do think they are a little overkill in a normal truck and harder to set up than the crush collar, you only run into trouble with the crush washers if you're really giving the diff some serious stick, like running huge tyres, low gears and big motors, plus a over excited right foot.

Comment

Makes sense tony. Think I'll just stick with the crush washer for now, it's not been too hard to get everything apart and now it's cleaned and repainted it's not going to be used for such heavy offroading, just recovery of my vitara and as a workhorse for carrying car parts, engines etc back to roughtrax I go.... LOL
                              ======

Comment

Working...
                              X