X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem :(

Hi to all
    I am new to this forum and have found some really good info,

Now its my turn to give something back to the site heres my problem.

the other day i was driving down the road big grin on my face saw a nice bird and she liked my truck of course who wouldnt. and noticed the engine temp went out of the redzone and the 2 mins later water vapour streaming from the bonnet under further diagnosis there some crunchy pipes and a whole in the radiator pressure cap is bust water pump is bust and some split pipes

i am purchasing all new

high performance silicone hosing
    pressure cap
    thermostat
    radiator
    water pump
    head gasket
    cylinder head bolts

all for the sum of about £210

i have a good knowledge of engines and wondered if anyone had somne diagrams and so fourth any tips would be helpful

in return i will be postingpictures of the rebuild over the week

thanks to all

Day 1

I FINALLY MANAGED TO GET A START ON THE COOLANT SYSTEM

HERES SOME PHOTOS

WELL THIS IS WHAT I STARTED WITH ALREADY TOOK THE BONNET OFF WHAT A MESS

STARTED BY TAKING OF THE ROCK SLIDE WONDER WHAT SUPRISES WE HAVE INSTALL

LOVELY ON THOSE BARS WE HAD ABOUT 4-5MM OF DIRT AND OIL ON IT

BEFORE I CARRY ON I HAD MY LOYAL FRIEND HELPING ME

ITS MR PIG

ANYWAY.........

TOOK THE PLUG OUT AND GUESS WHAT IT WENT EVERYWHERE AHH WHAT A MESS

WHILST TAKING THE VISCOUS FAN SHROUD OFF I DROPPED MY RATCHET SEE IF YOU CAN SPOT THE BLACK AND RED HANDLE

I TOOK THE AIR FILTER AND BATTERYOUT MADE IT ALOT EASIER TO GET SOME PIPES OFF

COOLER PIPES WHAT MORE CAN I SAY

GOT THE VISCOUS FAN SHROUD OF VIA 6 BOLTS

THEN THE RADIATOR YAY

WHAT YOU CANT SEE IS THE 10MM HOLE ON THE OTHER SIDE FROM THE LAST OWNER HAD DONE A REALLY RUBBISH WELD

NEXT ON MY AGENDA WAS TAKING OF 12+ OF THESE HORRIBLE SPLIT PIN CLIPS

SO I JUST CUT THEM OFF

NEXT THE THERMOSTAT HAD TO TAKE IT OUT OF ITS HOUSING WITH A SCREWDRIVER AWELL

THOUGHT WHILST IM HERE ILL CHANGE THE BELTS
    WHEN I WORKED OUT WHICH WAY THE TENSIONER WENT

OH DEAR......YEP DEFFINATELY NEED CHANGING

AND THIS IS THE RESULT AT THE END OF DAY 1

ANYONE FOR PARTS LOL

UNTIL NEXT TIME..............
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by adz1 View Post
      Hi to all
      I am new to this forum and have found some really good info,

Now its my turn to give something back to the site heres my problem.

the other day i was driving down the road big grin on my face saw a nice bird and she liked my truck of course who wouldnt. and noticed the engine temp went out of the redzone and the 2 mins later water vapour streaming from the bonnet under further diagnosis there some crunchy pipes and a whole in the radiator pressure cap is bust water pump is bust and some split pipes

i am purchasing all new

high performance silicone hosing
      pressure cap
      thermostat
      radiator
      water pump
      head gasket
      cylinder head bolts

all for the sum of about £210

i have a good knowledge of engines and wondered if anyone had somne diagrams and so fourth any tips would be helpful

in return i will be postingpictures of the rebuild over the week

thanks to all
      You've forgotten to buy a new cylinder head, timing belt, idler and tensioner.
      Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Can someone resize the pics?

Nev

Comment

High performance silicone hosing? Magic stuff hey? Anyway, you also forgot the Crank and Cam seals as well.

Nev

Comment

hmm

AFTER OOKING DEEPER INTO IT I HAVE SPENT SOME MORE THAN I WAS HOPING TO

RADIATOR £110
            SILICONE HOSING £87.46
            CYLINDER BOLTS £ 37.85
            WATERPUMP £47.98
            TIMING BELT KIT £97.86
            THERMOSTAT £10.10
            ALTENATOR BELTS £8.46 X2
            AC BELT/POWERSTEERING NOT SURE AS ONE IS MISSING BUT BOTH WORK £6.34
            MAGNATEC OIL 8 LTRS £23.99 X2
            COOLANT £24.99 WATER IS FREE PEOPLE WHY READY MIX
            OIL FILTER £17.87

THINK THATS IT FOR NOW

WILL BE DOING MORE WORK TOMORROW

WITH CONCERNS TO THE RESIZING I DONT KNOW HOW TO DO THAT.....

Comment

AFTER OOKING DEEPER INTO IT I HAVE SPENT SOME MORE THAN I WAS HOPING TO
              Albannach has already mentioned it!! Have you considered why all your hoses
              suddenly burst????
              It's classic pressurizing of the coolant system IE cracked head.Judging by the state of the engine it has'nt seen regular maintenance,and I'd suggest you check the head very carefully when you get it off eventually,or you will be spending out twice!!!
              Best

Mark

Comment

COOLANT £24.99 WATER IS FREE PEOPLE WHY READY MIX
                Water is not free if you use demineralized as you should be.

BTW YOUR CAPS LOCK IS ON!.

Nev

Comment

Wow is the oil filter gold plated?
                  SWIFT AND BOLD

Comment

PLEASE listen to the experts mate, your Surfs head is most likely cracked - no amount of work on all the rest of the engine will solve it.

All that will happen is the system will pressurise, and it'll burst at the next weakest point, and so on and so on....

Either scrap it, or get the head done, otherwise you'll be throwing money down the drain.

Sorry for the downer.
                    If you're gonna be a bear... be a Grizzly.

Comment

HI everyone sorry have been away.

i finished putting all the coolant system back together so i could do a pressure tes and co2 test and after some more dissmantling and poking about there is oil burning in the system and its also over pressurising ive got all sorts of smoke coming out of the exhaust and a great loss in power so ive come to the conclusion that its F@#KED. and dont have another £500 to do the head and another £££'s to fix anything else.

I have been offered by a friend who owns a breakers yard a 1995 auto 3.o turbo diesel is this compatible for a direct replacement i have been offered it at a fair price. any thoughts

Thanks for everyones help its been an emotional journey with the truck

Comment

HI everyone sorry have been away.

i finished putting all the coolant system back together so i could do a pressure tes and co2 test and after some more dissmantling and poking about there is oil burning in the system and its also over pressurising ive got all sorts of smoke coming out of the exhaust and a great loss in power so ive come to the conclusion that its F@#KED. and dont have another £500 to do the head and another £££'s to fix anything else.

I have been offered by a friend who owns a breakers yard a 1995 auto 3.o turbo diesel is this compatible for a direct replacement i have been offered it at a fair price. any thoughts

Thanks for everyones help its been an emotional journey with the truck

I feel your pain, I had these symptoms. Took the head off to find it had 5 cracks in it. Took the plunge and spend near as makes no difference £1000 in parts and found the con-rod is bent.

Comment

Working...
                        X