Transmission knowledge check

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission knowledge check

Just knowledge checking something - If an automatic transmision has 1 litre less oil than it should have; will it cause a marked difference in the performance of the gearbox?
    Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Hard to tell, maybe if its working hard you'd get oddness, and long term as less oil will get used more times.

I've had to top up a seeming fine working Surf 'box with a litre-ish of ATF to get correct level in the past.

I seem to remember min to max on dipstick being about 500-750ml.
    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Lexus 'boxes seem to act weird if the level isn't spot on, must be something to do with the fourth solenoid valve in there.

Comment

It's on my 3.0 Surf, I'm trying to get to the bottom of the overheating issues. The oil level was at the top Cool mark when the transmission was hot. I was wondering if low oil would cause the problem.

Comment

Could be, its a significant level drop from the hot low level to cold low level, the less oil 'spare' in the sump the harder the oil thats left has to work and could get hotter, and whole tranny could get hotter without the extra oil the valve body usually sits in to help soak up heat.
          4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Fuc! I went through school getting into bother for not knowing when all I had to do was phrase it different.

Knowledge check, Andy if anyone else had posted that they would have got shreded. You are lucky I missed it.
            Brian

Comment

Anyway ... the answer is no; it doesn't make a blind bit of difference.

Comment

Working...
              X