Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• whistle / whine ??

Hi I have just brought a 94 ssrx 30 lo ve it but it has a problem
    I have covered 2,000 in her it has had a new head and has covered 145,,,000 km
    One morning I started her went to woek 10 miles away
    When I got there there was a noise for the cam cover and a whistle or whhine coming from the front right of the engine and after removing the timing cover I noticed the cam belt was loose ?????
    Tried it before I drove home and as I started it the cam tentioner moved up and tightened the belt bk up ? The whistle or whine increases with rph
    I drove it home and when. I got home the belt had became loose again
    My friend says its a bearing in the pump anyone got any ideas ??? Please

The tensioner sounds like it's past it's best.
    Do not drive the truck until you investigate fully what's wrong. If the cambelt jumps a tooth you will destroy the head/valves/pistons possibly.

If the head replacement was done on the cheap they may not have replaced the tensioner, or cambelt for that matter. The tensioners can be re-used but any movement at all on the piston without a lot of force means it's past it's best.
    They have to be clamped in a vice and a 4mm pin put in to hold them closed while they are fitted and the cambelt installed.
    Last edited by KERRSURF; 19 June 2012, 21:40.
    Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

Did you ignore this?

Comment

Oh dear, it might be dead by now.
        Alan

Comment

I cant help but hear this in my head when i read this thread.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmyyZ7Eh3IQ
          If its not broke don't fix it.

Comment

Alan

Comment

Whistle / whine

A small note the way things stand the pump is off the truck and is being tested and reconed as originally I explained to the previous owner the pump was not good , he refunded me the price of the pump , a decent jesture , I will not as surgested replace the tentioner and cam belt and c how I get on keep you posted ! Thanks for your help

Comment

Whistle / whine

Sorry meant to say I will replace the tentioner and cam belt

Comment

Plenty of info around on the correct way to install everything so take your time and do it right first time.
                  Make sure you turn the truck over with a spanner on the crank to make sure it's all ok before using the ignition.
                  Alan

Comment

Whistle / whine

An update to be sure everything goes well and a thanks to the previous owner who to be, fair was quite gutted that it had broke reinbursed me with 300 quid to sort the pump , my hat off to you
                    I have sent the pump off to the reconditioners he said he would let me know if anything is or was wrong there ..... Nice
                    I am also going to replace the tentioner and the belt folowing coversations I have have had on this site , thanks for your help
                    One more small question do they actually make a repair manual for the surf model ?

Comment

Manuals here.

http://www.roughtrax4x4.com/?doc=11&cid=1013
                      If its not broke don't fix it.

Comment

Working...
                      X