Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear window bottom channels

OK, so decided after weeks of no rear window movement to overhaul it:

Main problem was that the motor had seized (severely corroded pinion gear), managed to clean it up and swapped the guts with the N/S/R door and all sorted.

The main mechanism just needed a de-rust and clean as the nylon wheels were ok but the metal window channels were shot so purchased a new pair from Roughtrax, question...

How the hell do you fit them? Is there a technique i.e. rubber on glass first then slide channel on, or rubber in channel then slide whole lot onto glass? I've tried with copious amounts of silicone lube but even though I get it partly on, the rubber doesn't sit correctly and tends to pucker.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Jonathan

...now fitted

Ok, so that wasn't such a bad job here are the steps:
    1. Mark position of old channels
    2. Remove old channels:
      • If they're rusted badly then they'll probably just drop off, if not carefully lever off or safest still angle grind the bottom of the 'U' on the edge - you don't have to go all the way through, just enough to weaken the right angle bend (don't forget to cover glass to protect against sparks).
    3. Clean glass thoroughly
    4. Apply silicone lube sparingly to glass and rubber (all over). I wiped off any excess just leaving a light sheen.
    5. Place glass on edge upside down (channel edge uppermost) on padded surface (towel etc)
    6. Place rubber in position on glass edge (ensure correct orientation)
    7. Now press metal channel onto rubber (ensure correct orientation and use rag or you'll cut your hands up!) whilst supporting glass between legs. You'll probably find they only partially slide on as the rubber will pucker up, but now using a paint/wallpaper scraper inserted between glass/rubber push the rubber back into the channel all along on both sides of the glass. Now ease the channel on more and repeat until channel is fully seated

Cheers,

Jonathan

Comment

Yes it is blue, and very rusty NSR quarter bumper and front bumper..and probably smokin', could have been travelling on constitution hill but not parked.

Jonathan

Comment

Working...
      X