Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheel Bearings?

Hi All,

Still got an issue with the front end, wander on steering and what can only be described as a rumbling / vibration that can be felt through the floor and a very slight knock on track to the farm. felt mostly through left foot when on footrest but also through steering wheel occasionally depending upon road surface.

Hoping someone more knowledgeable than me can maybe come up with a suggestion as what it may be. I'm not suspecting propshaft as there is no clunking and it all appears tight and all nipples take grease fine. I'm thinking it my be wheel bearings but they seem O.K if rocking wheel when truck is off the ground.

I can rule out the following as have changed / done.....

Upper & lower ball joints
    Recon rack in which I have replaced rack guide sub assembly
    rack ends & track rod ends
    rack bushes
    drop links (ARB bushes are a year old and in good nick)
    shock & springs
    Full alignment (lower arm bushes original but O.K)
    changed wheels around and had balancing checked
    changed discs & pad (callipers free and working properly and have correct shims in place)
    Rear shocks & springs
    Rear drop links & ARB bushes
    Panhard bushes

I'm all out of ideas, any suggestion would be appreciated.

Cheers

Ben

Remove wheels and check bearings.

Nev

Comment

Cheers Nev.

There is a little play on OSF so will replace.

How easy is it to change a gen 3 front bearing, most of the info turned up by search relates to gen 2? I've read something about a tolerance of 0.05", also a bit confused regarding greasing, they look to be sealed bearings.

If anyone could give me any pointers on changing these things it would be much appreciated. I can manage to get the hub off fine, can they be changed with a three legged puller and about how long should it take each side?

Many thanks

Ben

Comment

Originally posted by Ben_D View Post
        Cheers Nev.

There is a little play on OSF so will replace.

How easy is it to change a gen 3 front bearing, most of the info turned up by search relates to gen 2? I've read something about a tolerance of 0.05", also a bit confused regarding greasing, they look to be sealed bearings.

If anyone could give me any pointers on changing these things it would be much appreciated. I can manage to get the hub off fine, can they be changed with a three legged puller and about how long should it take each side?

Many thanks

Ben
        Mine were a pig to do! The strip down and rebuild is easy, Getting the damn bearing to move is a different matter! I did end up going to "Devon 4x4" to get it pressed out, I have a 12t press and that had no luck, it took nearer 20t to get it moving..
        They are sealed bearings so no need to grease..
        I'M ALWAYS IN THE SH'T, IT'S ONLY THE DEPTH THAT VARIES!!!!!!!!

Comment

Thanks for that mate.

Where does the 0.05" tolerance come in?

So there is no need to repack wheel bearings with grease on a gen 3 at service intervals?

Sorry for the seemingly daft questions!!

Ben

Comment

Not too sure the tolerance relates to the 3rd gen, IIRC it's only used on a Tacoma. No there is no need to re-pack as, the bearings are supposedly greased for the life of the bearing.
            I'M ALWAYS IN THE SH'T, IT'S ONLY THE DEPTH THAT VARIES!!!!!!!!

Comment

Cheers, many thanks for clearing that up.

So, just a "simple" case of push old one out and new one in! I'll take your advice re the press, had that advice before for ball joints and ignored it, learned from the mistake!!

Ben

Comment

Working...
              X