Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
    See post #9.
    Yes, I remember post #9. However the definition of fly by wire seems to be the replacement of a mechanical link between pedal and throttle with actuators and potentiometers...
    ETA
    For example...
    http://www.picoauto.com/applications...e-control.html
    "B.A." Baracus: "Talk to me, talk sense so I can talk back. Not all this jibberjabber like breaking the peace and all that."
    www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

see post #14

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN View Post
        LOL, actually.....

The cable on the EFI Surfs only works the butterfly on the intake elbow, to make the EGR work, this also works the TPS (your pot.) which talks to the ECU which then talks to the fuel pump, so really it is fly-by-wire as you'd generally imagine it.

Basically there is no direct mechanical connection from pedal to fuel pump, its all done electronically, commonly known as fly-by-wire.

Makes sense.
        So it's fly by wire, but with the pot on the end of a long cable...
        "B.A." Baracus: "Talk to me, talk sense so I can talk back. Not all this jibberjabber like breaking the peace and all that."
        www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

see post #14

Yup, missed that one.
          www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

Zackerly.

Comment

I think the OP's got his answer now...
              www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

Good, what was the question again?

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfracer View Post
                  Yes, I remember post #9. However the definition of fly by wire seems to be the replacement of a mechanical link between pedal and throttle with actuators and potentiometers...
                  ETA
                  For example...
                  http://www.picoauto.com/applications...e-control.html
                  The TPS is actuated by the throttle plate which is actuated by the throttle cable which is actuated by accelerator pedal which is actuated by the driver's right foot.

All clear now?

Comment

Good, what was the question again?

Could he get away with a free ad for his surf whilst thinly disguising it beneath a simple question...

www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
                      The TPS is actuated by the throttle plate which is actuated by the throttle cable which is actuated by accelerator pedal which is actuated by the driver's right foot.

All clear now?
                      Actually yes.

This is doing wonders for my post count...
                      www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfracer View Post
                        However the definition of fly by wire seems to be the replacement of a mechanical link between pedal and throttle with actuators and potentiometers...
                        It does. Both systems have the same sensors for engine and fuel pump. There's still a TPS etc so the only difference is the elimination of the cable from pedal to throttle. A mechanical link has been replaced with an electronic link.

The throttle cable also has nothing to do with the EGR apart from the link to the TPS which tells the ECU when the throttle is closed.

Nev

Comment

Nev, I understood the butterly valve creates vacuum in the intake as part of the EGR system, to make it suck exhaust in, otherwise the turbo would just blow air into the exhaust.

UK 4Runners without the EGR system (or EFI) at all have no butterfly in the intake, the cable goes directly to the fuel pump.

?

Comment

Nev, I understood the butterly valve creates vacuum in the intake as part of the EGR system, to make it suck exhaust in, otherwise the turbo would just blow air into the exhaust.
                            Yeah, you're right. That and also to aid smooth shutdown. Still disagree that models with a cable are fly-by.

Actually i think fly-by, is a drive by in a plane.

Nev

Comment

Originally posted by NiftyNev View Post

Nev
                              But harder to your Uzi out of a window!

Comment

Originally posted by NiftyNev View Post
                                Yeah, you're right. That and also to aid smooth shutdown. Still disagree that models with a cable are fly-by.

Nev
                                So that would make the surf a "Drive by"

Comment

Working...
                                X