Flushing the radiator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flushing the radiator

I would like to flush out the radiator and then add an anti freeze. I would prefer to add the red or orange 5 year anti freeze. Vehicle is on 72,000 miles.
    How do I go about flushing out the radiator and is ii a reasonably easy DIY job? apparently the Japanese use a different type of anti freeze in their vehicles which needs to be removed entirely. See here.

When I did mine I replaced the thermostat so back flushed with that out, I re-oiled the viscous fan so I removed the radiator too.
    I also back flushed the two heater matrixes, by backflushed I mean flushed it with a hosepipe in the reverse flow direction.

Comment

Originally posted by Surf01 View Post
      is ii a reasonably easy DIY job?
      Depends on your level of mechancal ability,but yes it's a reasonably easy job,but can be awkward. If you have small hands,thats an advantage. The fan cowl comes out in two pieces after you remove the 10mm bolts and two clips,and the rad is held by another 4 bolts. As Ploddit says,its better remove the stat,but it can be a PITA. If you don't want to remove,it you can flush from either side,via top and bottom Rad hoses. Works, but not as good.

Regards

Mark

Comment

I thought that there was perhaps a tap on the bottom of the rad that you opened to drain it. Think I will leave it until it goes in for a service and ask them to do it.

Comment

There is a tap,but without pulling the hose off I don't think you will get a very good flush,but probably better than nothing!!

Comment

Originally posted by Surf01 View Post
            I thought that there was perhaps a tap on the bottom of the rad that you opened to drain it. Think I will leave it until it goes in for a service and ask them to do it.
            While you're on see if they'll service the viscous fan too as you're approaching head time. These jobs are relatively easy and will save you heartache in the long run, garages doing services will change your oil and put a bit white grease on the door hinges then charge you a bomb, either do a proper job yourself or trundle over to Tonyn and get the job done right. H

Comment

Thanks the service bods that I use in Worcester are ex-Toyota technicians and seem to do a thorough job, but will mention the fan to them.

Comment

Working...
              X