Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• overheating ?!!

hello everybody

my 2.4 1993 surf is overheating, it was pressure tested the other week and was fine put new rad cap on, since then seems to going through a lot of water just put 3lts in after a week of normal dirving it's ok when full with water temp level does not move.

any clues to why it does this

how do i check radiator for leaks.

thanks in advance
    Last edited by paul b; 13 August 2004, 17:52.

Hello Paul,
    sounds to me like a head gasket! Is there water residue in the oil? Take off the oil filler cap and look for a white creamy residue.
    When you fill the system with coolant (not water i hope) and go out for a drive say 20 miles is the header tank empty? Yes? Steam coming out of the overflow pipe? Then alas its the head gasket
    The gasket has gone between two water flows on the water jacket causing steam to return to the header tank at great pressure.
    I hope this is of some help.
    Mark

Comment

Originally posted by Snortingbull
      Hello Paul,
      sounds to me like a head gasket! Is there water residue in the oil? Take off the oil filler cap and look for a white creamy residue.
      When you fill the system with coolant (not water i hope) and go out for a drive say 20 miles is the header tank empty? Yes? Steam coming out of the overflow pipe? Then alas its the head gasket
      The gasket has gone between two water flows on the water jacket causing steam to return to the header tank at great pressure.
      I hope this is of some help.
      Mark

thanks mark

the oil filler cap is clean, how easy or how much is it to replace the gasket?

thanks
      paul

Comment

Originally posted by paul b
        hello everybody

my 2.4 1993 surf is overheating, it was pressure tested the other week and was fine put new rad cap on, since then seems to going through a lot of water just put 3lts in after a week of normal dirving it's ok when full with water temp level does not move.

any clues to why it does this

how do i check radiator for leaks.

thanks in advance
        Not known for just the gasket to go, more 98% its more often or not the head.
        But before we gone down that route, was it fine before the rad test and rad cap replacement??
        If so what cap was fitted?? was any coolant lost on pressure test and rad cap change. If all was well before test then I would check for air locks etc first and check the cap.
        Where are you filling it up, if its using that much coolant then you should see it overflowing fron the expansion tank. Only fill via the rad cap, is there enough water in the expansion when cold it covers the tube in the tank??
        I know of enough Surfs on here that when the head has gone there has been NO gunged up oil, no exhaust sauna etc etc mine included, drove it for three weeks with a cracked head over than it pumped water out the overflow on the expansion tank no other symptons were visable. Check exapnsion tank when hot and check for bubbles coming out the expansion pipe, above all the only sure way to tell if its the head is a pressure test or emissions test of the coolant.
        Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
        My choice
        Back off

Comment

Originally posted by Koi
          Not known for just the gasket to go, more 98% its more often or not the head.
          But before we gone down that route, was it fine before the rad test and rad cap replacement??
          If so what cap was fitted?? was any coolant lost on pressure test and rad cap change. If all was well before test then I would check for air locks etc first and check the cap.
          Where are you filling it up, if its using that much coolant then you should see it overflowing fron the expansion tank. Only fill via the rad cap, is there enough water in the expansion when cold it covers the tube in the tank??
          I know of enough Surfs on here that when the head has gone there has been NO gunged up oil, no exhaust sauna etc etc mine included, drove it for three weeks with a cracked head over than it pumped water out the overflow on the expansion tank no other symptons were visable. Check exapnsion tank when hot and check for bubbles coming out the expansion pipe, above all the only sure way to tell if its the head is a pressure test or emissions test of the coolant.
          thanks koi

yes it was fine before the rad test and new rad cap. the new cap is "blue print" part no adc49902.
          i am filling it from the rad cap, there was some bubbling from inside the expansion bottle and there is water covering the tube, how do i check for air locks.
          been out just now and topped it up about a cup full it was full last night and has been on the drive all night.

thanks

Comment

Originally posted by paul b
            thanks koi

yes it was fine before the rad test and new rad cap. the new cap is "blue print" part no adc49902.
            i am filling it from the rad cap, there was some bubbling from inside the expansion bottle and there is water covering the tube, how do i check for air locks.
            been out just now and topped it up about a cup full it was full last night and has been on the drive all night.

thanks
            What pressure rad cap are you running, 0.9 bar or 1.1 bar. I run 1.1 on mine and it works well, I'd rather have more pressure in the system as long as hoses are OK and the rad is in good condition. More pressure means higher boiling point and also it takes longer for the cap to open and dump water in the expansion bottle.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by lucky
              What pressure rad cap are you running, 0.9 bar or 1.1 bar. I run 1.1 on mine and it works well, I'd rather have more pressure in the system as long as hoses are OK and the rad is in good condition. More pressure means higher boiling point and also it takes longer for the cap to open and dump water in the expansion bottle.

Cheers

i am running 0.9 had to top up coolant again thismorning temperature has been ok over the weekend, i will just have to check levels everyday.
              i have a split air hose could this be the cause.
              it is also dripping water once stopped and engine off, i have not had the a/c on
              Last edited by paul b; 17 August 2004, 17:40.

Comment

Working...
              X