Thunk noise when stopping.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thunk noise when stopping.

I could do with some pointers as to what to look at please.
    Every time i stop there's a thunk noise, it started out being more pronounced the harder i stopped but now seems to be just as loud no matter how hard i stop moving. Originally it seemed to come from different corners of the truck and i thought I'd fixed it by replacing the anti roll bar rubbers and anti roll bar ball joints on the front which i was advised to do by the MOT centre. Now it seems to only come from the front drivers side. Could it be the brakes as i got the pads changed last November and can't remember hearing this noise before hand.
    I suspect if i go to the garage and ask them to find out they'll tell me it's the front half shaft moving about in the front diff housing, but that's been like that for well over a year now and read on here that it's normal to have a bit of play there, (see a previous thread by me.).

It's cheap and easy, and solved my issued with braking thumps, but when was the last time your greased your driveshaft zerks? I know you say the noise sounds like it's coming from the front driver side, but noises can be tricky from inside the vehicle, it may be worth a try.
    '96 Toyota Hilux Surf SSR-G - RIP

Comment

Not sure what a zerk is, the prop shaft universal joints get greased each year when we service the truck and it was serviced 2 weeks ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Baldrick View Post
        Not sure what a zerk is, the prop shaft universal joints get greased each year when we service the truck and it was serviced 2 weeks ago.
        A "zerk" is the nub you add the grease to, if it was just done then it's not likely your issue.

Comment

Ah, that'd be what i call a grease nipple, 30 years of riding bikes and i'm just learning car terminology.

Comment

Its an Americanism, nipple was to racey for them.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN View Post

Its an Americanism, nipple was to racey for them.

LOL! You might be right! Stupid America.

Comment

Too much grease in the tailshaft sliding shaft will cause this. Remove the grease nipple, wrap something around the joint to catch the grease and take it for a drive. Any excess will be pumped out.

Nev

Comment

Surely that would cause it to happen after being greased not before. I'll give it a go though.

Comment

Well after 5 months of thunking and shuddering my issue has finally (i hope) been solved. Turns out it was the brake pads i bought of e bay being slack and moving in the callipers. Genuine Toyota pads now grace my truck and the noise has stopped.

Comment

Working...
                    X