oil level

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oil level

Hi, do you guys check the surfs engine oil when its hot or stone cold or when its stood for 10 mins or so? Thanks for your help, Karl.

I check mine at operating temp but, let the truck stand for ten minutes to give the oil chance to settle.
    I'M ALWAYS IN THE SH'T, IT'S ONLY THE DEPTH THAT VARIES!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by tonupteabag View Post
      I check mine at operating temp but, let the truck stand for ten minutes to give the oil chance to settle.
      Thanks for the fast reply, had mine serviced in the week and when I checked the level today (cold) was a bit high on the dipstick and almost black, never had a Td engine before but my V6 petrol car uses fully synthetic oil and stays golden for ages so wanted to make sure that the oil is new and should be black from the start. Any ideas?

Comment

I always use semi synthetic and yes no sooner has it run a few miles it gets dirty and i change mine at 5000 mile intervals and it's always the same , i drain it hot so i can try to get as much out as possible but there will always be some crap left in the galleries.

Comment

I always use semi synthetic and yes no sooner has it run a few miles it gets dirty and i change mine at 5000 mile intervals and it's always the same , i drain it hot so i can try to get as much out as possible but there will always be some crap left in the galleries.
          Thanks for your time mate, mine was black after about 10 miles lol but the last owner hadnt changed it for a while so was well over due! What oil do you use?

Comment

I get the full service kit from roughtrax mate

Comment

Got the oil to temp at lunch and let it stand for 10 mins or so and the level is about 5-10 mm above the full mark, will this be ok or should I get some out? The oil pressure gauge is in the lower 3rd while driving around town.

Comment

That would be too much, i personally would drop it down to the maximum level

Comment

That would be too much, i personally would drop it down to the maximum level
                  Thats what I was thinking, what is the best way to get some out?

Comment

Big syringe and a tube down the dipstick tube will be the easiest/least messy option..

Comment

oil level

To obtain the correct oil level its better to check it after its been stood up for several hours, do it in the morning after its been standing all night. This will allow the oil to run off the engine walls and settle in the sump so you get an absolute level reading.
                      It can be as detrimental to engine operation if your oil level is too high and this should be avoided as is too low an oil level.
                      I have attached the toyota oil specs from the manual to give you the correct oil
                      data.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Would the oil pressure gauge read high if engine has 2 much oil in? Thanks for your help guys.

Comment

Originally posted by red barron View Post
                          To obtain the correct oil level its better to check it after its been stood up for several hours, do it in the morning after its been standing all night. This will allow the oil to run off the engine walls and settle in the sump so you get an absolute level reading.
                          It can be as detrimental to engine operation if your oil level is too high and this should be avoided as is too low an oil level.
                          I have attached the toyota oil specs from the manual to give you the correct oil
                          data.
                          As i was taught to do it the way you describe i have experienced engine failure due to lack of oil! (granted it was a Talbot!) The way i now do the oil level makes sure the cylinder head is not dry, At least one litre is found in the head so this would leave the oil level one litre down under normal operation, using the method you describe, but each to their own

Comment

So what will happen if driven with 2 much oil in the engine? And would the oil pressure gauge read high while engine running if there is 2 much oil?

Comment

Originally posted by imotep View Post
                              So what will happen if driven with 2 much oil in the engine? And would the oil pressure gauge read high while engine running if there is 2 much oil?
                              It will be pushed through oil seals and up past the pistons, but this is worst case scenario, as for the oil pressure it will remain the same, the oil pump is still only pushing the same amount of oil through the galleries. crankcase pressure will increase though as there is less room due to excess oil.

Comment

Working...
                              X