strange random noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• strange random noise

Hi can anyone help me? I have a strange grinding sort of noise coming from what seems to be the front left corner of my truck. It happens randomly when driving in 2wheeldrive and 4wheeldrive,I have discovered when it happens i can bump it over a kirb and it stops. It sounds like brakes grinding but its not brakes thats just the best way to describe noise. I have recently serviced and mot'd truck which included all belts done,front cv boots,track rod ends and drop links also replaced rear prop. I've had the truck jacked up and removed wheel,had a good check and everything looks and feels good, i also greased the bumpstop,after greasing bumpstop today I took it for a drive and it done it again, im baffled, haven't a clue whats going on,i did notice tonight i've accidently pressed the hard button down where the rear window button is,not sure what this does but went a drive and it didnt happen, dont know if its just a coinsidence as it is quite random. Dont know if this may have something to do with the problem,it dosent affect the drive at all but its loud and sounds horrible. Its a 2.4 auto H plate.

can anyone out there help as im at my wits end i even thought of selling and going back to land rover but thats a last resort. I love my hilux but its now cost me over £800 in last month due to things going on it. Sorry for rabiting on just trying to give as much info as i can with regards to this issue.
    Cheers Paul.

Bumpstop? Did you mean the steering stops? Thats what you have to grease, all 4 of them (2 each side)

If the noise has stopped after switching the shocks to hard, then maybe the shock is worn, and now its in stiffer mode its not making the samer noise.

My money is still on the steering stops, but check the lock clamps of the TRE adjuster tubes, if the nut is pointing backwards it can rub on the chassis on full lock.
    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

does it have manual hubs on front,,

Comment

£

not sure if hubs are manual how would i find out?
        might be stearing stops not to sure,i only greased at one point on one side im going to try find some diagrams of what everything is and how to greas everything if anyone has any pics they can post that would be grate.
        cheers for reply.
        cheers paul.

p.s it dose not happen on full lock.
        Last edited by PFC; 7 January 2012, 16:17. Reason: ment to say

Comment

bronze bushes? mine strangely didnt make the noise on full lock
          Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
          My choice
          Back off

Comment

did you get it fixed

If the shock is rusty metal will expand and the dust cover will rub on main shock body. When you hit harder switch shock travels a lot less so wont rub as much.

Comment

Working...
            X