3 wheel drive???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 wheel drive???

im just after buying my 1995 3L surf,,, it runs great but while checking the 4wd i found it was not working so i started to look and see what was wrong, after checking the atcuators,vacuum etc i found that the hubs would not turn great os i removed them and they where all gunked up so cleand out and reinstalled, all wheels of the ground and put in 4hi and both rear and the passangrer wheel turn but not the driver front wheel,,
    is this normal?? is the power only transferd to that when need,
    dont really want to go offroad to find i only have 3wd,,,,,

thanks

can anyone help

Comment

Check the rubber vacuum pipes are secure on the front diff.

Comment

Do you have manual hubs on the front then? They arn't standard fit and could be not working properly or broken, when you cleaned them out could you make them lock so the driveshaft spins when you spin the road wheel?

If all the ADD stuff on the front diff is working the opposite wheel will spin backwards when someone holds the propshaft and you spin the other wheel.

If not then the ADD actutor isn't working then like Vince said check all the vacuum hoses from the front diff to the VSV's on the inner wing that switch it on and off when 4wd is selected.
        4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

And 4wd is really only 2wd unless you have diff locks.
          Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

When all 4 wheels are off the ground and I put in 4wd I can see the front left shaft turning but not the front right, if I turn it by hand while off the ground would that engage it as I here some people saying that you have to drive a few Metres before it engages (untill the sleve is in the right positon to slide over the shaft)
            also the 4x4 light is coming on ok
            Last edited by keato; 2 January 2012, 17:41.

Comment

so im gussing no one can put this to bed for me

Comment

It's a VSV or vacuum problem.

Sounds like you need to do this modification........

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/showthread.php?t=66744

Comment

If passenger side drive shaft turns and light is on, then the ADD Actuator must be working, so why look for a vacuum problem?

Drivers side drive shaft is always connected to the diff, so should turn as well. If you have it in 4WD and turn drivers side wheel does it turn the other wheel?

If not, then unless I am totally confused, something is broken on drivers side.

Nev

Comment

Originally posted by NiftyNev View Post
                    If passenger side drive shaft turns and light is on, then the ADD Actuator must be working, so why look for a vacuum problem?

Drivers side drive shaft is always connected to the diff, so should turn as well. If you have it in 4WD and turn drivers side wheel does it turn the other wheel?

If not, then unless I am totally confused, something is broken on drivers side.

Nev
                    Have a read of the ADD mod Nev.

Comment

I'm with Nev, somethings not right here, for the 4wd light to be on the actuator MUST be working, or it wouldn't work the light, and the N/S wheel wouldn't rotate unless the sliding collar is in the right place.

The O/S is perminatly fixed to diff, so if its not spinning something must be broken in the diff, driveshaft or hub, and should be pretty obvious, assuming OP knows how diffs work.

You didn't say if you tried just jacking the front up, and selecting 4wd then turning one front wheel by hand, does the other wheel turn in opposite direction like it should.
                      4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

yes but its still a diff, one wheel can spin and the other stay still he needs to lower the n/s and see if the o/s spins, methinks it will
                        JAP4X4PART ¬ THE BIGGEST SURF BREAKER IN THE UK ¬

Comment

Just re-read the first post, and I think the N/S manual hub is buggered.

Comment

but he said the n/s turns in drive
                            JAP4X4PART ¬ THE BIGGEST SURF BREAKER IN THE UK ¬

Comment

Originally posted by lord lucan View Post
                              but he said the n/s turns in drive
                              Oops I meant O/S hub.
                              Depending which type of manual hub, it's possible to re-assemble them incorrectly so they're unlocked in both positions.

Comment

Working...
                              X