Engine runaway problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine runaway problem

Hi all! New to this forum, but looking for some help if possible.
    I own a 1991 2.4 turbo diesel hilux surf (auto). Serviced it the other day and a friend tweeked the pump afterwards took car for a drive and upon arrival back at home the engine started running at max revs and letting out an extreme amount of smoke. I turned ignition off which did nothing so started squeezing pipes to starve engine of air which thankfully stopped the engine, so thinking this was due to adjustment made to pump, pump was put back to original so tried starting car again and again same thing happened with high revs and smoke and had to cut out engine manually. was told problem could be caused by faulty turbo and was quoted £1300 for new turbo so opted to go for second hand one for cheaper. Fitted it, started car and same thing happens again! Putting it down to bad luck and maybe yet another faulty turbo but now got another but scared to fit it incase same thing happens. So can anyone help shed some light on this problem???

Thanks!

Have you checked to make sure the throttle is fully returned? It could be a frayed cable.
    I'M ALWAYS IN THE SH'T, IT'S ONLY THE DEPTH THAT VARIES!!!!!!!!

Comment

Whoever told the problem was caused by a faulty turbo, kick them in the nuts as they obviously don't understand how a turbo works!

It's most likely the throttle cable as mentioned above or something rubbing on it.

Welcome on board by the way, enjoy your stay.

Comment

A guy my friend works with has a Golf that did this. It was a failed seal in the turbo leaking oil.
        It ran on it's own engine oil flat out until it blew up!

Comment

if it is sucking through engine oil from somewhere this will cause it to "run on"
          what colour is the smoke out of the back?
          does the engine sound excessively "knocky"?
          if its black smoke out the back then its a fueling fault,
          don't know on the surfs but if the pump has failed it could cause excessive amounts of diesel to get through
          www.apmautos.com

Comment

His mate's fcuked the pump up.
            Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
              His mate's fcuked the pump up.
              X2

Nev

Comment

you have put to much oil in it when you serviced it . check the oil level.

Comment

sorted

hi all got my problem sorted it was just the fiel pump needing some adjustment all good now
                  truking again,

anyone round about wishaw area in scotland got a rear prop shaft for 2.4 h plate surf?

cheers people

Comment

Working...
                  X