Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing the timing belt...

Hey everyone,

I bought a 1992 Surf LN130 2.4LTD 2L-TE a couple months ago with a bad oil leak when RPM's are high. I finally got my timing belt kit in the mail so I started last friday attempting to change the belt, idler pulley, idler gear as well as the front crankshaft and camshaft seals. I assumed the replacing either the crank or camshaft seals would fix the leak because when the engine was running I turned the idle up button on and was able to watch a slow drip from the bottom of the crank.

I should also clarify I have no experience with cars beyond changing oil and tires. I'm just following the Max Ellery service manual.

Anyway, so after huge periods of feeling overwhelmed I get the rad and fan shroud removed. Then I remove the fan/clutch that's attached to the water pump. And start pulling brackets and screws trying to move the power steering and alternator. Fast forward to tonight. I'm many hours in and I finally got the crank and cam seals replaced and I'm putting everything back together... well trying to.

I'm stuck on what seems like the stupidest part. Just simply putting the timing belt on. Everytime I put it on the sprocket on the right hand side (facing the vehicle) is about a half a tooth out. I've tried adjusting it's position, but it won't stay in place. So I took a ratchet and hooked it to zip ties and used them to hold the ratchet down and to hold the sprocket in place. I then succesfully put the belt on, but as soon as I took the ratchet off the sprocket when a half of a tooth out again.

Does anyone have any ideas? I'm flying home for christmas in a week and need this completed asap.

Thanks!
Working...
X