New discs & pads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New discs & pads

Hi all iam going 2 replace the front discs & pads over the wk end on the 3.0 & I woz wondering if they are any pointers u folks can assist me with as I have never done brakes on a 4x4 before thanks

Regards Paul

2nd or third generation 3Ltr?

Nev

Comment

2nd mate

Comment

Oh well this form is good take it no 1 knows how 2 change them then , strange but I thought this woz the place u asked questions & got answers I must b wrong

Comment

Albannach is on holiday...
          Be thankful.
          "B.A." Baracus: "Talk to me, talk sense so I can talk back. Not all this jibberjabber like breaking the peace and all that."
          www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

The discs are bolted to the hub. You need to remove the hub from the wheel assembly to get them off. Mine were so tight I had to use an impact wrench to release the bolts.
            Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

Originally posted by big ssrx View Post
              Oh well this form is good take it no 1 knows how 2 change them then , strange but I thought this woz the place u asked questions & got answers I must b wrong
              be still grasshopper

answers always come in time
              Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

Jack up and put on substantial, AXLE STANDS, not a pile of bricks or a bottle jack, these cars are heavy and will hurt you if they fall on you.

Take the wheel off, remove large bolts that hold the caliper on and hang the calipers up somewhere out of the way. Be careful to see if they are shimmed, they were on my 4 Runner.

Remove the dustcap and the small bolt at the end of the drive shaft, remove all the small nuts on the hub that are facing you. These have small conical "washers", gently tap around the hub and these will come loose, remove and store nearby.

Get a 54mm ( I think) socket or get a roughtrax special tool and remove the first of the large nuts off the shaft, remove the locking washer and then remove the second large nut. Disc and hub should now be free.

Put it upside down on a workbench and remove the bolts that hold the disc to the hub, these are very tight and you may well need an impact gun, I have one so no problemo for me. Bolt new disc on and refit is reverse order ( In true Haynes manual style).

Buy some new bearings and fit them whilst your in there.

Comment

thanks for the replys guys i thought it woz not an easy half hour job after looking at them so will try and do them this wk end once again thanks for the help

Comment

Working...
                  X